Workshop temperature ?

Page 2 of 3
My shop is in the basement and is usually in the mid 50s in the winter. But then again, I keep the house in the low 60s when I'm home. Nice thing about Titebond III is that it's good to use down to 47. I did add a kerosene heater last month for the basement since it rarely got into the teens outside and basement was approaching the 40s which is a little cool even for me.
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:28:26 -0500, Silvan

Silvan wrote:

In TN, I had the shop in the garage and it was stifling--no windows, no side door. I cut a couple of windows into the end wall and installed blocking to hold to square window fans pointing out but so the windows could still be closed....Pulled enough air through to at least keep it habitable for not much bucks....
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Yeahbut the only place I can put windows is where I just put all those new shelves. Sigh.
Oh well. My shop is pretty much closed again anyway. No inspiration has taken hold of me, and I have grown weary of sharpening and tuning and cleaning things that I have no particular use for at the moment. The only project I have in mind to do is a project that requires jiggage I can't be bothered to build right now, so I'm kind of left empty and unmotivated.
Oh well, I'll get inspired eventually. I always do. In the meantime, I'm going to stop wasting electricity keeping the lights above freezing out there.
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, Andy Dingley

Yup. About -40 sometimes .... until I make the first few cuts wrong that is, and warm up the old Quebec heater.
Truth is it's a bit chilly sometimes, but I dress for it, and it's not all year round that bad. You catch it as it's thrown.

45F when I am not around, but I bump the heat up to 65F while working. In the summer I turn on the AC when the heat or humidity gets to me! Greg
Heck, I work outside for a living. I often come home and work in my shop. If it's 45F in there, it feels like a heatwave lately, so i don't even bother to turn on the heater, unless of course I'm gluing stuff ogether. --dave

I work outside often too, North Dakota winters. Real fun working outside when it is -20F and wind chill of -60F or so. The shop is another story, no sense punishing myself, so I make sure it is comfortable. Greg

Folks give me strange looks when they see my laptop wallpaper. A picture of a Buff on alert, buttoned up against the snow, with the sentry walking his circuit. I use it to remind me how things used to be worse. Not sure if it was taken at Minot with the wind, or Sawyer for the snow, but I was stationed at both....

My father-in-law's shop (Garrison, near Minot) is about the right temp to keep beer frosty.. I think the wall thermometer said about 29 or 30f..
I don't know how he's managed to work wood in that temperature range for all these years and still have all his body parts.. BRRRRRRR...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

When it gets down into the 30F's it usually devolves into a miserable time. I often wear fingerless polarfleece gloves to take the chill off handling the cast iron surfaces, but even then the cold creeps in after an hour or so.
____

Owen, you're tougher than I am. Ol' Arthur acts up too much if it's under 45 or so. I crank up a heater when it gets down there, but I do go out and work before the shop is up to temp. In the winter, I figure 55-60 for a normal working temperature, except when gluing or finishing. Then I bring it to 65 and hold it there or rising for an hour or so before doing any work...but I claim that's for the sake of the glue or finish.
I do have two window AC units. I dread using them unless absolutely essential, cause in this area in July and August it doesn't take too much to boost the electric bill over $100 a month. I'll be adding a third unit this year, though, because those two are strainging to keep it under 80 on some hot days.

60 F.......I have to. My solid surface adhesives won't set up at lower temperature. http://integra-adhesives.com / 75 F in summer, max. The adhesives will react too quickly at higher temps. I turn on the central air in my shop. (A window unit in the middle of the west wall, mounted in the centre.)
When I'm just fartin' around, between 45 and 85 is okay by me. I cut the fingertips off at the first joint of a new pair of thinsulated leather gloves. To stop the fraying of the liner I had the circumference of the fingertips stitched by a cobbler. I take them off when using my table saw. I cannot use a table saw with any kind of glovage... or mittage even.
<snip>

I had a cold (for Calif.) morning a few weekends ago.. it was about 42f at 8am.. I started to put a turning block on a bowl blank and for once in ages, actually read the instructions to something... it seems that you shouldn't use Titebond III if temp or material are not at least 45f.. I started wondering what the temp of the wood might be after a night in the garage (frost warning the night before) and decided to hold off on the gluing..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

That's one glue line you don't want to see fail. <yikes> Most, if not all adhesives have an optimum temperature-range.... and I believe those guys. More on that here: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/adhesives.pl
0?0
Rob

I give up at about 40 degrees, mostly because of the problems with gluing and finishing.
Andy Dingley wrote:

I can't work in my garage if outside temp is less than 10degC. I can raise the air temperature with a fan-heater. but the concrete floor stays very cold and soon my feet are frozen!
Every morning I check http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/uktemperature.shtml and if southern England is blue or green I settle down to some programming!
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, Andy Dingley

===========================I keep my shop Heated to 45 degrees and turn the furnace on to get the tempature up to 65 or so when I am working out there...
In the Summer I set the a/c to maintain 83 and lower the temp to 70 something when I am working out there....
BUT if you read the threat on the cost of Cherry ...you will see I am now suffered the Fixed Income Blues after reading what Lumber now costs... so I may be hauling the glue up to the house next winter and turning the furnace off... and lesarn how to open some windows in the summer....
Bob Griffiths

I'm comfortable with 55 degrees. 45 - 50 on cold days. Anything cooler than that I'm worried about my glue setting up properly. Of course I have a shop with a small woodstove for heat and 14' open ceiling so until I get my ceiling fans installed and that furnace.... SH
The temperature in my workshop today was 30 deg Celsius with humidity at about 65%. Imagine working with a sweatband around your head that lasts for about an hour before you have to replace it with another.

for
Imagine? That's August. Got to have that band or find rust on the cast iron from a neglected drip.