Workshop temperature ?

I don't need my fingertips when I'm working outside.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I feel I need my fingertips, therefore the tolerance for cold depends on the task at hand. I can stuff boards through a planer at 0C, but I'd never try scroll work at that temperature. If it distracts me at all, it's too cold, and as Scarlet observed "tomorrow is another day."

Reply to
George

I can't work in my garage if outside temp is less than 10degC. I can raise the air temperature with a fan-heater. but the concrete floor stays very cold and soon my feet are frozen!

Every morning I check

if southern England is blue or green I settle down to some programming!

Reply to
Bob Martin

============================ I keep my shop Heated to 45 degrees and turn the furnace on to get the tempature up to 65 or so when I am working out there...

In the Summer I set the a/c to maintain 83 and lower the temp to

70 something when I am working out there....

BUT if you read the threat on the cost of Cherry ...you will see I am now suffered the Fixed Income Blues after reading what Lumber now costs... so I may be hauling the glue up to the house next winter and turning the furnace off... and lesarn how to open some windows in the summer....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

same here... I have the thermometer that we took from our RV.. has temp in garage and out on patio.. Last night (after raining) was 60 in garage and 56 outside... Anything under 48 or so just requires too many layers of clothes to be comfortable or having to close the garage door, (usually covered by sheet plastic sliding on rods), which I find claustrophobic..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I don't think so.. especially if you estimate what temperature the bare metal saw table might have been.. It's just not safe to work with power tools when your hands are that cold..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

The metal isn't any colder, it's just that heat transfer is much better so it "feels" colder...

But I agree on the safety aspect. And, of course, there are no wood glues I'm aware of that are below upper 40s for chalk temperatures so there's a limit on what you can do anyway...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I had a cold (for Calif.) morning a few weekends ago.. it was about 42f at 8am.. I started to put a turning block on a bowl blank and for once in ages, actually read the instructions to something... it seems that you shouldn't use Titebond III if temp or material are not at least 45f.. I started wondering what the temp of the wood might be after a night in the garage (frost warning the night before) and decided to hold off on the gluing..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Andy Dingley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

For me, there are technical issues and there are safety issues. If I find myself having to 'think through' processes that should be second nature, it's time to sweep up, and go inside.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

That's one glue line you don't want to see fail. Most, if not all adhesives have an optimum temperature-range.... and I believe those guys. More on that here:

Robatoy

I'm comfortable with 55 degrees. 45 - 50 on cold days. Anything cooler than that I'm worried about my glue setting up properly. Of course I have a shop with a small woodstove for heat and 14' open ceiling so until I get my ceiling fans installed and that furnace.... SH

Reply to
Slowhand

The temperature in my workshop today was 30 deg Celsius with humidity at about 65%. Imagine working with a sweatband around your head that lasts for about an hour before you have to replace it with another.

Reply to
Alfa

Anything below 60F is miserable. If it gets over 80F I'll switch on the A/C. Most days, the door is open and the sun is shinning!

SoCAL Dave

TeamCasa

Imagine? That's August. Got to have that band or find rust on the cast iron from a neglected drip.

Reply to
George

I work outside often too, North Dakota winters. Real fun working outside when it is -20F and wind chill of -60F or so. The shop is another story, no sense punishing myself, so I make sure it is comfortable. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 00:54:53 +0000, the inscrutable Andy Dingley spake:

I live in the Pacific Northwest, way warmer than GWN of Canuckistan, but I live in a "shop with attached house." It's never under 60 or over 78F in there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Folks give me strange looks when they see my laptop wallpaper. A picture of a Buff on alert, buttoned up against the snow, with the sentry walking his circuit. I use it to remind me how things used to be worse. Not sure if it was taken at Minot with the wind, or Sawyer for the snow, but I was stationed at both....

Reply to
George

My father-in-law's shop (Garrison, near Minot) is about the right temp to keep beer frosty.. I think the wall thermometer said about 29 or 30f..

I don't know how he's managed to work wood in that temperature range for all these years and still have all his body parts.. BRRRRRRR...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

you KNOW that you're very close to the "you suck" level there, right? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yup. Or even June. My shop has gotten up to about 60 on a freezing cold but sunny day.

Reply to
Silvan