Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment

Page 7 of 13

John P Bengi expostulated:
| Really? Now let's see you answer this post without separating the | headers and the text and yet still bottom post. Show me how Agent | supports this bottom posting garbage idea.
With a little help from a package called "quote-fix", this is how OE can deal with that challenge. It's available free at <http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/ .
One of the things that I've liked about it is that it displays each person's quoted text in a different color, to make it easier to follow interspersed comments.
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:15:41 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

What are you going on about NOW?
--
Cliff

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:15:41 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

HUH?
Is the techincal term for that "forwarding"?
You must have a LOT of problems with that pile of junk indeed.
BTW, Why add "OT" Twice? Did Outbreak distress MAKE you do it?
--
Cliff

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:24:36 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

Okay, I can see that you've made up your mind based on faulty premises, and don't want to be confused with the real facts...
I have several copies of Microsloth Outleak Exploder, and two legally licensed copies of full Outlook that came with Microsoft Office. I've tried using them. They are both the biggest pieces of non-intuitive crap software to ever be shipped out of Redmond WA, and they've never really fixed it.
Agent may be "a piece of junk" in your misguided opinion, but at least it is designed to do it's job and it does it well. And when updates are needed, the programmers make them rapidly. And all the default settings for Agent are correct out of the box, it won't do anything stupid unless you change the options and tell it to.
As the "defacto" software that comes pre-installed on the computer for the sheeple who can't be bothered to find anything better, MSOE is a virus and trojan exploit magnet for all the skript kiddies out there trying to hack into other peoples' systems. As an example, I offer the "Preview Pane" that would cheerfully run any binary that appeared there, including executable programs... You have to go manually make sure that option is turned off before allowing the program anywhere near the Net.
And MSOE helpfully self-destructs on a regular basis - if your news server ever has problems where it loses it's spool hard drive and even once reports "this newsgroup does not exist", Outlook Express cheerfully deletes all your newsgroups and all the saved messages from the local computer hard drive. If the news server says the group does not exist anymore it /must/ be true, it can't be a momentarily hosed server.
Go try a few other programs before you keep praising MSOE. You might be surprised that there are other good coders out there.
And if you have nothing else constructive to offer on the subject in response, I'll stop poking the troll here and gladly let you have the last word. And you can wander off and check the stock ticker to see how your Microsoft stock is doing.
--<< Bruce >>--
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
I have noticed a few things about this. 1) I tried Agent for a month or so and it feels like running a MSDos programme, primitive and non-intuitive. I am not willing to pay for this functionality. OE is free without hacking.
2) The people that seem to always have problems with threading or posting readability are almost always Agent users. For posting binaries it is a much better machine, I am sure.
3) I have never had a virus scanner installed on my system in the 20 odd years I have been using MS op-systems. I have used a virus scanner the odd time but never required a full time scanner and the targetabilty is only because the results could be seen with such a popular browser. Once Agent becames more popular it will become a target also.
4) no browser I have ever heard of or seen support bottom posting. They all separate the p[osted text from the posted header. Threading browsers have made the top down posting style obsolete in the 80s. Who ever puts their attachments of previous posts before their text. Do you do this in an email? The previous posts are all in the thread and available to anybody wanted to review the previous posts. The arguments for bottom posting are all moot.
Other than that, thanx for your polite information.
yahoo,com> wrote:

John P Bengi wrote:

Microsoft stuff is pretty functional, and it's basically alright once you get it configured, but the fact remains that it's the stuff that's most often assaulted, it's often buggy and MS is darn slow at dealing with problems. Consider XP and the 'service packs', strange way to do things..
Try Mozilla's Thunderbird, it's what I use. I really don't know of anything bad to say about it, it works and it works well. The Mozilla folks seem determined to resolve issues quickly, I feel that they're doing a much better job of it than MS.
Don't get me wrong, MS did a great service for the people by putting Windows out, they helped to make the internet what it is just by offering a fairly simple and working OS that we non computer-geeks can use. MS set the standard that others are now exceeding and I can see little reason for not using that which exceeds. Give it a try, you might like it. Mozilla Firefox is a very good browser too, try 'em both.
John

I suspect that one day they will do automatic online updates ... and error reports via Email back to MS.
--
Cliff

You can already configure it to update automatically. Most people don't like that including myself. It's tantamount to turning almost complete control of your computer over to someone else. (or some company).
I equate that to pre-authorized chequing which I monitor very closely. For the most part, it works out ok, but for the times when your account is debited for something without your permission. And then comes the time when you've terminated all purchases from a company, but they continue to debit your account.
Upscale wrote:

Had one of those, once. They billed and refused to credit 14 days after I closed it down, and told me it "might" happen again. I closed the account an hour later and threatened to sue them for the payment. I didn't get the money back, but they sure as hell didn't get anything else from me, nor will they ever.
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:11:05 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

Not too bright, eh? What NG are you from that you never got educated?
--
Cliff

You know, you're right. A Windows computer can suffer from all the problems you've listed. But, it appears you're just another Neanderthal that doesn't have the wherewithal to properly configure a Windows computer against all the problems you've listed.
My Windows computer doesn't suffer from *any* of the problems you've listed. For the most part, I use and like many Windows programs as well as a number of others. And no, I don't own any Microsoft stock or have any great appreciation for Bill Gates. And yes, on frequent occasion I'm exposed to and use other Operating Systems such as Linux. (Mandrake version)
So screw off and climb back into your hole. I'm not the least interested in hearing you WHINE about your incapability's when it comes to Windows.

Speaking of neanderthal, boy..if it was so important to you..how come you are not using Linux? Thats the bleeding edge today.
You are using old paleolithic tech when using Outleak Exploder.
Gunner

No was NOT. I use agent for downloading binaries. If you're going to play the asshole, at least try to respond with the knowledge that you have your facts straight.

Been looking in the mirror again asshole? Hell, you're too stupid to even follow a thread properly. I damn well know for sure that you're incapable of searching out parts of previous threads or you'd have quoted what you're replying to like any normal person.

Bye fuckwit.
<plink>
Gunner "Pax Americana is a philosophy. Hardly an empire. Making sure other people play nice and dont kill each other (and us) off in job lots is hardly empire building, particularly when you give them self determination under "play nice" rules.

Funny, you already said goodbye one and you've doing it again. Must be that low memory retention you have. Either that or you just don't know how to end an argument.

He'd have to be able to have one first.
--
Cliff

Now I know you're looking in mirror and the person there is talking about you.

Found a long lost relative, eh? Congratulations !!!
--
Cliff

It's always fun to watch him arguing with himself <G>.
--
Cliff

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:23:36 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

What was this about?