Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment

Page 6 of 13

BTW Cliff: Most of that other thread was not my postings. It was a super troll we have been trying to demolish for the last 6 months on a few groups. He doesn't like the vcomplaints to his ISP and News providers so he forges my nickname and treis to libel me in any group I visit.
His last known commonly used name is Bunty Jeck. Previously known as Aunty Jack, Eunty JEck, Gymmy Bob, nunja, M II, Taz, Tez, Tbz, T@z, Troll killer and over 300 incarnations of those basic ones over the last year. Very mentally ill (OCD) individual in bed with Wayne and M II here or the same person.
Sorry for the confusion but I gave up on that thread. I only post from golden.net. Check the headers
writes:

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 18:30:15 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

Hope you liked the way I trimmed his/her top-posted stuff <G>.
--
Cliff

Gee . Maybe that bottom posting stuff isn't so bad after all....LOL
Trollkiller

LOL....good one!

Please people! Trim your posts. If you do so, you will not only save bandwidth, but you will save readers lots of scrolling and they will be much more likely to actually read your post. To trim, all you have to do is highlight the area to be eliminated and hit your "Del" key.
For example; Scott's post could look more like below:
Thanks Vaughn
>This isn't even quite as extreme as the example I was thinking of. >I'll see if I can dig up another cite, but I think it's probably in a >magazine here so don't hold your breath.
Probably nobody cares but me, but for the sake of the archives I have to back down somewhat.
Turns out an honest mistake (misreading) by my partner resulted in an exaggeration that I failed to vet before repeating it when I said:
>>> (Sorry the proper term escapes me.) In this way they can >>> run sweatshops in wire-fenced compounds and legally print "Made in >>> USA" on the goods produced there.
We did track down the reference in question, and it was also about the Marianas. Although this isn't what most people would think of as the "USA" as in "Made in USA," it is not exactly the sort of "special region" that I had claimed to exist within other countries. The Marianas are technically a protectorate - not that this makes it OK, IMHO - but there is a difference.
There *are* special trading zones set up within foreign sovereign countries whose status may facilitate sweatshops (reference: No Logo), but does not confer the right to claim that their products are made in the US.
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:20:28 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"

Bandwidth is a non issue. Not since the binary groups started putting 3 hour movies on the net...
Gunner
Gunner wrote:

Perhaps but there are still a lot of people using slow dialup modems and bandwidth remains an issue with them even on these text newsgroups. Clipping the message appropriately also helps improve legibility.
Anthony
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:56:46 -0700, Anthony Matonak

Do you download every body of every post, or just the headers to see if you are interested, then download them?

Gunner
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:56:46 -0700, Anthony Matonak

Sometimes.
Gunner

PEOPLE have bandwidth too. WHY make us search an old post for new material when there is none?
Poor clueless gunner ...
--
Cliff

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:14:16 -0500, Scott Willing

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to. You need the context but not the rest.
--
Cliff

Cliff wrote:

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..
John

John, I don't think so (but it's possible). Sometimes, with a few others, I only reply to a slight snippet (see jb & Gunner & crew) with a sharp poke <G>.
For most the subject (or a specific subset of it), not the author, is the subject (whoops .. a tautology?)
Usually I quote the specific bit I'm responding to (for the proper context). I like SHORT, easy-on-the-reader posts, little forced scrolling to find the context, and brevity, usually.
Some of the others like huge essays .... but I find that a few well placed words usually do most of the time. One may also usually assume that the reader recently read the prior full post that the reply is in response to.
--
Cliff

Cliff wrote:

You go back and look at the thread where we disagreed over the atomic bombing of the Japanese cities and you'll see where I accused you of cutting what I said, resulting in an altered context.

I find your few, well placed words to often sound like you haven't thought of anything constructive. "Winger!, WMD's!", etc. Maybe the readers you prefer need it kept simple?

I don't believe that to be a safe assumption. You go through a thread on a day and you see the posts between then and the last time you looked. There may be responses to something you read three days ago, twenty lines up the thread. There's usually a middle ground between giving enough information about what you're responding to that you're showing consideration for your readers and cutting enough to not waste people's time. Myself, I prefer to err on the side of too much information.
John

Not going to go search but I'm certain that I altered nothing in what I quoted. It could well be that what I quoted showed your general attitude rather well though <G>.

Like many of the wingers? Perhaps so. Even than, many still don't get it, or so it seems. Look at poor Gunner .. Much, if not all, of such has been coverd so many times before and they well know it (or should). I see no need to endlessly repeat the same longish replies laden with facts & reasoning or redo any prior research.

Better than always quoting the entire thing IMHO.

I'll stick with brevity, usually <G>>
--
Cliff

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:58:22 -0700, Mark & Juanita

A. Top Posting.
Cliff

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:24:36 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:

Ah, a msoft zealot -- that explains it. In your previous posting you whined about no browser supporting bottom posting, yet as shown above, you recognize that Agent, as well as many other Usenet readers that were around before Saint Bill discovered the Internet conform to the bottom posting convention.
... snip
Really? Now let's see you answer this post without separating the headers and the text and yet still bottom post. Show me how Agent supports this bottom posting garbage idea.
It will only take one more response to demo what a dumb idea bottom posting was. Try to attach your previous posts at the bottom while you are at it like you do in your emails you send.
yahoo,com> wrote:
Try a normal browser like OE and get rid of that piece of junk Agent.
Ah, a msoft zealot -- that explains it. In your previous posting you whined about no browser supporting bottom posting, yet as shown above, you recognize that Agent, as well as many other Usenet readers that were around before Saint Bill discovered the Internet conform to the bottom posting convention.
... snip
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----+
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----+
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:15:41 -0400, "John P Bengi" <JBengi (spamm)@(spamm) yahoo,com> wrote:
Posting returned to usenet bottom-posting convention.

BTW, most "real" usenet reading software is smart enough to trim sig lines from the reply lines.

??? "separating the headers and the text?, what are you talking about? The headers of a posting are the routing and history information of the posting and associated book-keeping. The text is the body of the message.

Why do I want to do that? There is no reason to attach previous posts if the context of a message has been properly preserved in the thread.
Also note another pre-Saint Bill usenet convention -- interspersed comments within the posting. This helps preserve the dialog and keep comments with relevant context.
I'm done with this, I've got better things to do with my time. Feel free to post whatever ridicule you choose; have a nice life.
I rest my case. You lose.
yahoo,com> wrote:

-----+
-----+