Workshop Design Software Recommendations?

Want to start designing my next workshop and probably want to use a software package this time - any recommendations on software packages that are geared to or friendly for laying out a woodworking shop? thanks - jim
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:59:23 +0000, Jim Wheeler wrote:

You can go to the Grizzly web site and use their free design tool.
--
Joe Wells

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:59:23 GMT, "Jim Wheeler"
DeltaCad or a few pieces of cardboard

***************************************************** I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about the things I know I am right about.
Jim Wheeler wrote:

Give us a clue, please: OS / graphics software you already have (CAD or Visio or ?) / experience?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Jim Wheeler wrote:

Give us a clue, please: OS / graphics software you already have (CAD or Visio or ?) / experience?
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

There are a couple of inexpensive home design programs that will do this. You might not get power tools among the available furniture bits, but you can probably put in table or cabinet diagrams and change the name and size to be "bandsaw" or whatever. I use Broderbund's 3D Home Architect and find it useful. It allows you to define a camera angle and then walk thru the rooms (this is the 3D part). This can help with visualizing what the final design will be like.
It handles windows, dimensions etc fairly well. I haven't used the electrical components, but they're in there.
If you want a CAD package that's affordable, AutoDesk Autosketch is good. It's a bit hard to learn, but reasonably useful. I prefer it to the freeware and shareware CAD packages I've tried.
Mike

If you have Visio, there is some great help - the link was posted here by Harvey Chute not too long ago: http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm Inspired, IMO.
Even w/o Visio, you might find some benefit to visiting the link, or this one also at Harvey's site: http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_shoplayouts.htm . -- Igor
great links - thanks - jim
wrote:

If you have Visio, there is some great help - the link was posted here by Harvey Chute not too long ago: http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_visio.htm Inspired, IMO.
Even w/o Visio, you might find some benefit to visiting the link, or this one also at Harvey's site: http://home.comcast.net/~hchute/woodshop_shoplayouts.htm . -- Igor
EASY SHOP DESIGNER very easy to use and powerful layout.
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/downloads.php?view tail&id