Workshop Communication

Hi,
Lately, I have started to call the 2' x 4' area at the back of the garage my workshop.. sad eh.. anyways, you gotta start somewhere! I was wondering if, as I am an out-doorsy person, it would be a good idea to have a Walkie Talkie in the "Workshop" possibly attached to the wall, or take my mobile in with me..
Ta.
Cheers,
Sam
Add pictures here
βœ–
Tue, Nov 16, 2004, 8:45pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sam Berlyn) says: <snip> I was wondering if, as I am an out-doorsy person, it would be agood idea to have a Walkie Talkie in the "Workshop" possibly attached to the wall, or take my mobile in with me..
No, I'm not planning on calling.
JOAT Any plan is bad which is incapable of modification. - Publilius Syrus
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:45:29 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"

it's a double edged sword.
being startled at the wrong time by the phone could cost you a finger, or an eye, or an expensive bit of wood.
not being reachable could cost you a job, or dinner, or snuggle time with your sweetie.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:00:18 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Two suggestions:
Turn the ringer volume down.
Find an old Western Electric phone that uses actual bells to signal you. The mechanical bells have a smooth, pleasing sound, especially when turned down low.
If a low mechanical ringing startles you enough to flinch, professional help may be a start. <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
Gotta agree with Barry on the mechanical ringer versus the electronic. I've had that bell-ringer in my shop since I've built it and have never been "surprised" by it whenever it rings. Guess it's because it's what we grew up with and are accustomed to that makes the difference.
Bob S.

βœ–

For a phone with a 'real bell' ringer, there is a real simple way to *really* civilize it.
Take the cover off the phone, and remove _one_ of the two bells, and re-assemble the phone.
It is simply *amazing* how 'ignorable' the ringing is, once you've done that.
Note: WE (and the other telephone manufacturers) *deliberately* picked the two (different!) frequencies that the bells ring at -- so that the combination produces an 'anxiety'/'urgency' effect.
Those old wind-up alarm clocks, with the two bells on top -- same story.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 07:09:57 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Remember WHEN they chose the sound. When a less urgent sound was the cow's bell as it moved across the back yard. <G>
I'll bet most of us who grew up with mechanical ringers now find them soothing compared to electronic versions, as they remind us of simpler times.
For about 4 years I had an extremely high stress job where we had a certain model of AT&T electronic multi-line phone. A local department store has the same phone system. I've been out of the high-stress position since 1997. When the phones in the store ring, my anxiety level instantly jumps! <G>
Barry
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:06:55 GMT, Ba r r y

I've been dismantling phones and modems to tape toilet paper over the piezoelectric speakers for two decades now. 6 layers with 2 layers of magic mending tape works juuuuust right.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:45:29 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"

as pagers/intercoms.. I turn off the ringer and put it where I can glance at it once in a while.. the orange screen lights up when it rings and flashes if you have a message.. (I also have my cell phone in my pocket, out of habit..
Add pictures here
βœ–
I feel that a phone in the shop is a must. If you need help (911) it is there and if you get a call that must be taken it is better then a walk in to the house with all the other distractions that will bring. I have a phone and a gmrs intercom in the shop to contact the outside world and SWMBO.

Add pictures here
βœ–