WORKING WITH PVC...??

A friend of mine owns a business that uses 4x8' sheets of 5/8" white PVC in their production of exterior shutters. In this process, they cut and rout the PVC with woodworking tools. I have been offered as much of the "scrap" as I want & was wondering what the short and long-term effects on blades and bits would be in working this material?.......any comments appreciated.
Thanks,
Butch in SC
The person who would know best is your friend who does this for a living. Ask him and post back what you find.
-Jack

I believe that you will find it to be very abraisive. But heck, I'd love to have some. Make great stickers, etc..

I've done a lot of cuts in PVC pipe for aquarium fittings with just a carbide combo blade on my table saw. It makes a smooth cut, and I haven't noticed any problems with it being abrasive, but then again I'm not going through 4'x8' sheets 5/8" thick.
K4NAU wrote:

I haven't worked with sheets like that, but I've used various power tools to cut PVC pipe and fittings. I can't speak of the long-term consequences, but in the short term it comes out about like you'd expect. It works well. Makes a HELL of a mess. The dust will static cling to anything and everything, and stay there forever.
Be careful not to burn it. It releases lots of toxic chemicals right up your nose when you burn it. DAMHIKT.