Working with large stock; jointer alternative?

Page 2 of 2

Yeah, sorry bout dat! I'd be in trouble if I had to make it "cabinet grade" quality. Nice thing about log homes, imprefections are appreciated. I guess that would make my wife a victorian, and me an old shed.
I have done what you are thinking about; cutting on a table and and cleaning the web out with a sawsall. It is much harder than it looks. Getting the the sawsall to to go straight down the middle without gouging the sides is a problem. I will not be doing it again...
As others have said, you can joint with a router, or with a hand plane for that matter; but neither is easy. Since the wood obviously will not bend to conform to inperfections, you had better do a great job or you will see it as gaps in the glue joint. Perhaps that will not matter to your project.
I guess if it were me, I would save that piece of wood and buy the right stuff. (or borrow some time on the right equipment.)

here's how:
go get a way longer sawzall blade than you need. they make them, you'll just have to look. kerf the timber both sides with skilsaw as described.get the sawblade started in the cut and have your assistant guide the backside with a block of hardwood with a sawkerf in it. think bottom guides on a bandsaw.