working with bamboo-question

hi all I have some yellow bamboo growing in the paddock, up to about 8cm thick. I would like to read up on how to work with bamboo. I have been asked to make a bamboo water feature by the 'boss.' :) I have googled with limited success. Any pointers would be appreciated. Cheers peter

Reply to
paxwax3

I have seen bamboo processed into dimensional lumber, but that takes equipment far outside the scope of normal woodworking. For most common uses the culms are dried before use, a process I don't have specific information on. The dried culms themselves require protection from long term exposure to water. Polyurethane is what I've seen recommended to extend the life of outdoor bamboo projects. If you want to use the culms as water carrying tubes in a water feature, I believe they are best plumbed with plastic tubing hidden inside. Your mileage may vary due to your climate.

Once dried, it is similar to wood. However, it's stringy fibrous nature probably is not well suited to routing or holding intricate profiles. The little I have worked with had a tendancy to split lengthwise and for the most part I would just avoid using power tools on it.

Hope that helps, Neil

Reply to
nlbauers

google: Bamboo uses google: Bamboo water

E.G.

Guess who

Guess who wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

interesting, but no prices? They only sell to retailers? They have a hotmail address "in the clear"? Are they a spamtrap?

Reply to
Han

I'd suppose that they supply to Yuppieville. They also supply foggers and such. My point is that bamboo has many uses, and the imagination is the best tool to have in the workshop. If you want information you'd have to contact them, not ask me.

Reply to
Guess who

Check out

for hundreds of bamboo designs. That's where I got my ideas for a bamboo fountain -- Regards --

Reply to
JimR

I noticed that Home Depot now sells Bamboo flooring. You might contact the manufacturer of that flooring. Asking a sales rep at Home Depot may not result in a good answer.

Reply to
Leon

just not looking in the right places. So I ask around. Thanks for the link of some nice pics. I suppose, I'm really asking for hints on how to work with bamboo. websites are cool too. In the page you offered the spout of the water feature is connected to the upright bamboo at an angle; I'd like to know how to do that and other things too Thanks and cheers Peter

Reply to
paxwax3

Thanks for the link, I found something that excited me, I just have to figure it out a bit. Cheers peter

Reply to
paxwax3