WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 1

Page 1 of 5
WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS - Episode 1
Hi. I am woodworker with over 40 years of professional experience. I am posting this series of episodes to help new woodworkers with some basics that most newbies are confused about.
POWER TOOLS: Most new woodworkers are very confused about their first tool purchases. There is temptation to buy cheap, inferior stuff when you are new because you don't want to invest that much in an activity that you may not be very good at. Woodworking, IMHO, does require a natural talent and you need to spend a fair amount of time woodworking before you would know if you have this talent. But, if you buy the cheapest tools you can find, you will probably get discouraged before you go very far.
Then you will have the self-procalimed experts (like some of the regulars of this newsgroup) who will tell you to start out with only the best. This is nothing but pure liquid hogwash! There is no reason you need to blow your life savings on power tools to get started as a woodworker.
Episode 1 - YOUR OWN SHOP FOR UNDER $500:
I have put together a list of medium-caliber power tools that would make a great first inventory of woodworkers tools. Each of these tools has been tested and inspected by me. I bought all of the following tools for my eldest grandson for his Christmas present, so you can see that I am not suggesting these items out of my butt.
THE LIST:
$119 US General - TABLE SAW (with stand) http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF987
$79.99 Chicago Electric - 3 HP PLUNGE ROUTER http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber7793
$24.99 Chicago Electric - 1/2'' VARIABLE SPEED REVERSIBLE HAMMER DRILL http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE338
$49.99 Dewalt - 1/4 SHEET HEAVY DUTY PALM GRIP SANDER http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber84
$39.99 Central Pneumatic - 1/4'' AIR SCREWDRIVER http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberE266
$6.49 Chicago Electric - GLUE GUN http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberG445
$39.99 Chicago Electric - BISCUIT JOINER KIT http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber8648
$39.99 Wagner - POWER PAINTER http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber0760
$34.99 Chicago Electric - 7-1/4'' CIRCULAR SAW http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumberF866
You will want to buy better blades for the 2 saws, but that should bring your grand total to about $500, shipped. Keep in mind, this is not high end stuff, but then again is is not the bottom of the barrel. You can check around the HF site, but I would go with the list above. They sell cheaper models for almost each tool on the list, but these have all been tested by a professional with more than 40 years experience, yours truly!
IN THE NEXT EPISODE 2: How to use your table saw
An air screwdriver and no compressor? A $79 3 hp plunge router? Hmmm.
I smell a little "self proclaimed expert". Look in the mirror. Try being a little humble and let us figure out if you are credible. I look forward to your episode 2.
Bob

Gee, I've learned so much from this thread.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 11:55:12 GMT, Expert Woodworker

Agreed!
Whaaa?
A high quality handheld circular saw with a good rip guide would be a far better investment than this POS.

Sounds too good to be true. This is scary.

Everyone needs a drill, and this one is cheap. This _may_ be usable, if it's better than the Chicago Electric tools I've fondled.

Why a 1/4 sheet over a ROS? A Porter Cable 333 can be had for a few bucks more and would be far more versatile.

What beginner NEEDS an air screwdriver? A standard screwdriver is $3, and screws can be driven with the cheapo VSR drill you've already listed. How is this air screwdriver going to be used? Should the beginner blow in the air hole to get the blade spinning? Or is it intended as a doorstop until a compressor is obtained?

WHY?
A good dowelling jig is more accurate than a cheap plate joiner at the same price.

Now the BS is getting really deep. <G>

Not needed if the PSO table saw is dumped in favor of a high-end circular saw.

Good advice.

Umm, yes it is... <G>

Experience at what? Unloading containers from China at Harbor Freight? How about posting photos of some of your work?
Are you associated in some way with Harbor Freight? It certainly looks like you are.

I just can't wait, please hurry!
Barry
Looks like spam from harborfreight to me....

Not at all. I have no afiliation with HF other that my recent order for my grandson.
Expert Woodworker thus spake:

To paraphrase Bill Clinton, 'I feel your pain.' ;-)
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:57:15 GMT, Expert Woodworker

Do you have a first name? Got any photos of projects you've completed? I didn't think so.
An nslookup of woodworkpro.net comes up as a non-existent domain:
It's Harbor Freight spam. Advertising is one thing, spam disguised as "advice" is the lowest form of spam. People and companies who post this crap demonstrate a complete lack of ethics. What's the matter, the penis enlargement cream market has gone soft? <G>
What's that beeping noise? Oh, it's another container being backed into the dock for you to unload!
Barry
wrote in wrote:

Gary
Got any photos of projects you've

Yes, I do. Have you?
I didn't think so.

You comments are digusting, false, and libelous. And your domain is incorrect.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:38:42 GMT, Expert Woodworker

<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/nightstand-12.jpg
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/coattree-unfin1.jpg
<
http://www.bburke.com/wood/images/routertable2.jpg
I'm due for an update, as I've been a bit busy to prep and upload some from the last 9-12 months.

I know that, but the "reply-to" works. <G>
Barry
Expert Woodworker wrote:

Sam Spade shows: "No match for WOODWORKPRO.NET and running the IP addy shows: 12/20/03 11:09:59 IP block 63.223.5.95 Trying 63.223.5.95 at ARIN Trying 63.223.5 at ARIN
OrgName: CAIS Internet OrgID: CAIS Address: 6861 Elm Street, Third Floor City: McLean StateProv: VA PostalCode: 22101 Country: US
ReferralServer: rwhois://rwhois.cais.net:4321/

The comments were skeptical based on your choices, and questioning of your motives, not disgusting, false, or libelous. What was false was your e-mail addy. What was disgusting was your rabid attack rather than a reasoned one. His domain was correct, yours was not. AS yet nothing libelous has been written. You are correct in pointing out that some HF tools are worth having, many are not. I still think that your choices are odd but the reasons have been covered by others. If you don't want spam, feel free to mung your addy, many of us do, most also show a usable addy in the sig line. Free exchange is welcome here, insults and ads aren't. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote in wrote:

You are not as clever as you think. I never claimed to get my email at 'woodworkpro.net'. What gave you that idea? My email address is obviously a fake for SPAM evasion purposes. Am I the only person in this group that does not provide my real email address? Not at all.

If I worked for HF, would I write that their cheaper stuff is crap? I don't think so.
Newbies: these are the jerks that I tried to warn you about. I am sure that the overwhelming majority of users here are quality people, but a small percentage of them are real jerks.

In just about any sampling, a small percentage will be real jerks (don't go there!). You'll have to admit, the HF-heavy shopping list says a lot. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comEDY (Tom) wrote in

I admit that much of the stuff the HF sells is crap, but I have tried and tested each of these specific models and I think they would be appropriate for beginners. The 2 saws would need better blades, as I pointed out. I never said that these tools are for pros and advanced amateurs.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:43:50 GMT, Expert Woodworker

Any newbie who does a Google group search can tell that I provide help quite often here, as well as learning a whole bunch myself:
<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=Keep_it_in_the_newsgroup_please%40aol.com+group:rec.woodworking&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=rec.woodworking&start &sa=N>
Yet a search for your posts includes one post, a "helpful" list of Harbor Freight items:
Barry
wrote in wrote:

Stop the two bit detective work. I never claimed to be a long time Usenet poster. That does not put a dent in my woodworking experience. Like I said, the specific tools that I endorsed are fine for a beginner. Not an advanced amateur or a pro. And yes, I agree that a good amount of the HF stuff is crap, the the stuff I bought for my grandson turned out to be fine.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 14:46:58 GMT, Expert Woodworker

Certainly! Back to the original questions, and onward with helping newbies. <G> I'm seeking clarifications to the following expert recommendations, as maybe _I_ can learn something.
So, Gary,
Why would you recommend a 1/4 sheet sander over a random orbit sander, when both can be had for about the same price?
Why would a newbie need _any_ pneumatic tool without a compressor?
Why would a newbie need a pneumatic screwdriver, when a VSR drill is also on the list?
Why a glue gun? What's your recommendation for glue for this gun?
What advantage does a poor table saw _and_ a cheap circular saw have over a high quality circular saw and edge guide?
Wouldn't a woodworker need some sort of measuring device and angle layout tools? What would you recommend?
Thanks in advance, Barry
wrote in wrote:

Because this is the sander that my grandson ordered and I find the quality to be acceptable for what it is.

I gave my grandson an old compressor of mine, so he did not need to buy one.

I did not write the shopping list, Barry. All I did was pay the bill and test the gear.

A glue gun is nice to have around. They do have their place like for lite detailing, though I admit that I do not use one very often. I keep alot of titebond and gg around.

He insisted on the table saw. I tested it and it is not as bad I expected once you get the guide set. I agree about the circular saw and the one he has was another surprise once we changed the blade.

Of course, I have tons of this stuff around. He did not need to buy this.
LET ME REPEAT: I ENDORSED A LIST OF SPECIFIC TOOLS THAT WERE PICKED OUT BY MY GRANDSON.
PS. I would have gladly articulated more if I were not so aggressively attacked. I'm just an ole man trying to be helpful. Sorry if I appear to be a joke in your eyes.
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:35:45 GMT, Expert Woodworker

The why would you write the following?
"I have put together a list of medium-caliber power tools that would make a great first inventory of woodworkers tools. Each of these tools has been tested and inspected by me. I bought all of the following tools for my eldest grandson for his Christmas present, so you can see that I am not suggesting these items out of my butt."
<G>

A few years ago there was a troll thread on another newsgroup where a poster claimed to HAVE A BROKEN CAPS LOCK KEY, SO HE ALWAYS HAD TO TYPE IN CAPS. Several regulars in the group offered to send the guy a free keyboard, and he always replied with excuses like he couldn't get mail, he had a proprietary connector, the dog chased the mailman away, etc... He also played the sympathy card once the group chased him out from under the troll bridge, just as you seem to be doing.
We've all been newbies, so many of us really do try to help them. Many of us also blow the BS horn when something that dosen't compute when added to our own experiences to help actual newbies not have to make the same mistakes we've made.
Regardless of whether you are a troll, spammer, or simply a helpful, well-meaning poster, I'm bored of this whole thing. I'll be on my way now. Only you know which one you really are. Feel free to demonstrate to us which category you fit into in future threads.
Barry