Working for a living...

Page 2 of 2

Makes sense, but would it not work better if they took over Exxon-Mobile? They need computers to run the systems so t hey could take over IBM too. I'm just thinking cost savings here, of course.

Cost containment should have been the first place to start. Then again, the people that passed the bill have no idea what that means.

Nonny makes a good point, it isn't hard in the US to find large numbers of people that they or anyone in their family has not worked or done anything of even minor importance to contribute to the system for generations.
I'm not speaking of the disabled or unhealthy, these are people that are healthy and able to work, but lack desire and motivation. They were not taught to work, they were taught to game the system. And yes, they live a minimal life, one that no one here could tolerate.
How do you break this cycle of dependancy without destroying the disabled and ones that only need a hand up. I don't know, it is more of a moral/ethical issue of the people than a broken welfare system.
It isn't hard to understand why some rage against what is billed as yet another freebie, it is an affront to all that have worked all their life without asking anything from the government.
I have mixed feelings about the health care issue, on one hand me and my wife both have preexisting conditions extensive enough that they could be tied to almost any health issue, any insurance company would be glad to be rid of us, on the other hand we have excellant health care and insurance. We never pay any amount for anything and only pay a small portion of the premiums. It is part of my pay, no union lobbied for me, I earned these benefits by hard work and careful selection of who I was willing to work for. I expect to be heavily taxed in the future, for the being in this position.
One thing I know for certain, whether you are politically right, left, center, or space alien, the government can be lots of things, but it is never your friend.
basilisk
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:43:26 -0500, the infamous Upscale

Far, far too many people DO consider that living, Uppy. I've read stats that say up to 90% of people in the Philly (ditto the whole eastern USA) grow up, live, and die within 10 miles of their birth city. I'd guess that a whole bunch of them would not have a problem with it. If people don't have any creativity, they have no need to do things, to move around, and to switch jobs for fun like the rest of us. Others are just lazy and don't care at all. <shrug>
-- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand. -- Oprah Winfrey
Nonny wrote:

Some of the evacuees from Katrina ended up in places like Salt Lake City, Billings, Omaha, and were amazed. A common refrain was "You means all I has to do is stand behind the counter and make Slurpees? And I gets PAID for that? Damn, that's cool!"
And the chain linking five generations of poverty was broken.
For many of the others, who landed in Houston for example, the refrain was: "Whatchew mean I can't be moseyin' thru my 'hood with a malt and a toke? I could back home!"
Welcome to the Grey Bar Hotel.