Working Beech

Started making the legs for my new bench.

I had bought Beech and Ash years ago from a farm going under. I paid more than it was worth, while the woman thought I didn't pay enough. I wanted it for the bench but it was too small 8/4's and not straight at all. So I decided to use the beech for legs. This is my first time working with beech. Wow, this stuff works great. Hand planing was easy, ripping on the band saw smooth as silk.

If it were easy to find, I would do more in beech and less in maple. I'll have to glue up the legs to get to my 2 3/4 thickness. After milling close to size then planing to get it straight, I am at 1 3/4..

NICE WOOD

Reply to
tiredofspam

I'm rather fond of it as well, especially for making wooden hand planes. It's easy to work and stable.

I've had no difficulties getting it from a local hardwood dealer and it's fairly inexpensive, compared to other hardwoods.

Reply to
Michael Faurot