workbenchtool.com Madison, WI Is all well with them?

Has anyone dealt with Work Bench Tool in Madison, WI in the last few weeks? I ordered a mobile base from them online and inquired via e-mail a few days later. I got a shipping it right out tonight and I'll send you the tracking number tonight.

Haven't heard a thing since. I've sent a couple e-mails, made some telephone calls that have never been answered so I am out in limbo. To their credit, they have not charged my debit card so I'm not worried about that sort of thing.

So if any of you know the current status of the store, let me know.

I thank you in advance,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Just down the street from me, I'll look into it for you

Reply to
Eric Johnson

Have the spammers gotten that good at unmunging email addresses?

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I'm not sure but back when I posted my email uncloaked it pretty much ruined whatever address I was using. In the last two years, I've recieved about 18,000 spam e-mails. Now I cloak and use white lists to keep an address viable.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Thanks!

Wes

Reply to
clutch

They are still there and all is well, he upgraded the phone system and they started installing the new system when SBC went on strike.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

OUCH!

I just tried to call and now I get their answering machine. Likely they are busy with catching up.

Thank you very much, I'll just cool my jets and give them some time to get straightened out.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

I made it through to them and got a status. SBC really hit them hard.

Thanks again for the help,

Wes

Reply to
clutch

As I mentioned here last week I have purchased a lot pecan. It is a beautiful wood with an interesting figure and it is riddled with pinholes that add to its character. The problem is how do I fill these holes with a transparent filler before finishing. My wife loves the look and wants a built in entertainment center/bookcase wall built from it. Any ideas welcomed.

Reply to
Dennis W. Ewing Sr.

Why fill them?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I agree, Dave. The only reason I can see to fill the holes is that they would be on a writing surface. However, would all those pinholes interfere with brushing on a finish, i.e. make it lumpy because a "glob" of finish will collect on the downstream side of the hole after you drag a brush across? I know this happens with latex paints, but maybe not with less viscous liquids like shellac (and maybe not even with latex if I could take my freaking time).

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

I'm no finishing expert... Why not try it on a piece of scrap and see what you get?

You could also rub the finish on, rather than brush it.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Reply to
nospambob

Better shellac stick or flake melt IMHO. LOTS faster.

Reply to
George

I want a smooth finish (my wife does anyway) as this is for the living room.

Reply to
Dennis W. Ewing Sr.

I ordered a JET jointer and mobile base from them in early April. I kept getting the runaround from them about getting them in stock from JET any week now. Well, I finally got the jointer last week (which, BTW, I am very very happy with after simply setting the cutterknives according to ). But, the mobile base was not shipped even though the packing slip said it was there. I called them up and they said the trucking company must have lost it and they have no more in stock. Guess what? They are coming in now any day from JET.

The story this time is that there was a shake up at JET because the purchasing guy wasn't ordering stuff from Taiwan early enough because of the 3-week lead time to get stuff from overseas. He's been fired so the mobile bases are now on order and they should be coming in any week now. Sounds too familiar to me.

Meanwhile, I had to submit my rebate to JET without the proper UPCs. We'll see if they make good on the rebate.

Needless to say, I'm likely not going to do business with them in the future. They've been friendly enough but there just isn't enough follow through. Maybe I just picked the wrong time to order from them. I went with them over Amazon simply because they worked out to be about $50 cheaper. I'm not so sure this hassle is worth $50.

In short, yes, they are still in business. But you'll likely be waiting for that mobile base for a while yet. BTW, I didn't have any problems calling them at all this last month so I'm not sure SBC is entirely to blame.

Reply to
Newbie Woodworker

I meant to say David Eisan's post/article:

Newbie Woodworker

I wouldn't blame everything on Workbench, Jet has drastically expanded it's sales and promotional market and I personally think are not able to deliver. I went through the same thing at Woodcraft last year for a sanding center. Once they where sold off the showroom floor there was nothing to be found this side of China for 2 months. Woodcraft gladly processed the credit card right away though.

EJ

Reply to
Eric Johnson

My base showed up today. It is labeled JET but also has a caption that it is made in america by HTC. Since HTC is in downstate Michigan (I live in northern michigan) that gave me a nice feeling.

I got it, parts were all there and now I can roll my jointer around gar^b^b^bworkshop. Workbenchtools were the lowest priced I could find on the web so I guess it is resonable to expect they might not have extensive stock. They did not charge my debit card prior to shipping. Actually, I still have not seen the charges.

If I need something quick, I doubt I will use them for that but if I am bottom feeding for price, they are still on the list.

Thanks all for the input,

Wes

Reply to
clutch