Workbench with or without router insert?

Hello,

I am building a workbench out of 2*4 (cheap and easy :-) and my original plan was to make a hole in the middle of it to insert my router and have a workbench/router table all in one.

For the moment, I am using a router table made out of a 3'*3' sheet of composit board which is hinged on 2 of the garage studs in order to allow to "fold it up"...

I was wondering what your thought were about a inserting the router in the middle of the workbench...

PS: there would be obviously a 2nd plate that I can put in place of the router insert to avoid having the hole in the middle of the workbench...

cyrille

Reply to
cyrille de brébisson

Personally, I don't like the idea. I think it would be a royal pain to pull a router in and out of a top to use it for another purpose, especially a work bench. Since you indicate that space is a constraint, consider just using a small router table that sits on top of the bench or another fold-out table to the side or on the front of the workbench. I've seen some pretty efficient designs that use a small fold-out top for the router which is flush with the main bench to take advantage of its adjoining space.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I disagree. If you have one of the PC/Dewalt/bosch combo bases, you can permanently mount the fixed base on your plate and use the plunge base for free-hand routing. This is what I am doing right now. The fold down table Idea seems fine to me. I actually have a fold down table like described, but my router table is built into a nother bench. Go for it.

Caution: Since you will be having a heavy, sharp, whirring blade, you should look at how well your legs lock in the down position. If they can be kicked out in any way, you risk serious injury.

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Why not? It may not be a nice as having a separate table, but is sure better than having nothing. Biggest problem I see is clearing the bench when you need to use it. OTOH, clearing the bench is something I should do more of anyway.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yes, that changes the equation.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I don't know if this will help any, but this is what I did: I have a Hitachi MV-12 and a Rockler Router Table. I decided to build an all purpose bench for work and for glue ups, but in my Garaaashop I was limited on space for this and a router table. For compromise I built the bench running along the wall. It rests on some drawered cabinets connected with 2X4 framing. The bench top is made from gluing together two layers of MDF with several coats of Helmsman Urethane for the top surface. At the end portion of the bench the bottom layer of MDF has a hole big enough for the router to be taken in and out. The top layer of MDF has a hole cut to the size of my Rockler Router Table top. The router top fits right in and has enough clearance that I can still use jigs and accessories in the miter slot. When I need more bench space I lift out my router table and insert a piece of MDF that is same size.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

I'll have you know I am entering Week 2, I think, of having nothing on my bench but dust, pencils, a saddle square, dovetail markers, spare dogs, and a ceramic heater. So far I have managed to be a good boy and put my toys away at the end of each day (and these toys have dedicated homes on the bench). It's such a strange experience having a workbench that I can use without shoving a bunch of stuff from one place to another.

Reply to
Silvan

I donno. My router table is much taller than my workbench. Maybe I an weird, but I like my router table to be nearly chest high so I don't need to been over to see what I an doing. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I too have ridiculous bench heights in my shop. I built a chop saw bench and fence system in my shop. It is 16 feet long and it is up around 48 inches high. When doing a lot of repetitive cuts you don't have to bend over to see the cutting area and marks on the wood. I have a metal lathe that I jacked up for similar reasons. You can stand up right without leaning. My floor model drill press is mounted on a foundation footing about 15 inches off the floor. Not only can I sweep under it but guess what? No bending. My back is strong and I don't have issues bending but the fatigue factor of standing in front of a tool for an hour or more is practically eliminated. What tool heights do you use? max

Reply to
max