workbench top

I want to install Oak flooring on top of a sheet of MFO for the top of my work bench. Would appreciate any comments.
ah, Happy Father's Day!
Are you planning on dancin wimmin getting all jiggly on top of your bench??
Dave
Carson McAloney wrote:

I meant mdo.

There's a joke here somewhere, but I can't quite come up with it. Anyone? Bueller?
todd
I meant MDO

I wouldn't be leaving any oak flooring lying around a jobsite..some mfo will steal it!
Is that what you meant, Todd?
"Carson McAloney" wrote:

IMHO, a total waste of time and material when you can get a sheet of 1/4" hardboard for $10 and lay it on top of the MDO.
Use the oak to build fiddles to hold the hardboard in place.
Just my thought.
Lew
Here is the problem with flooring stock. If you use nails (toe-nailing) to hold the flooring strips, you will defeat the purpose of having a wood top. You dont what nails all over the place. These will get in the way of dog holes or whatever. On the other hand if you just glue them in place they will not be as good as rectangular strips that you glue, since the flooring strips are not flat on the bottom.
My favorite workbench top is a sheet of 1/4" masonite/hardboard. Any time it gets damaged you just pull it up and lay down a brand new top.