Workbench top?

Page 2 of 2
birch is fine.
On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:57:46 -0600, "Guy LaRochelle"

scribbled:

Yup. Mine is Douglas Fir with a couple of birch pieces where the dog holes go. If you want a maple slab, you can get one at Lee Valley.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page1156&category=1,41637&ccurrency=1&SID
Being a work bench, with work being the key word, I really don't see any big working advantage to a maple top. My present bench is now about 15 years old and is made up of laminated fir. Works just fine and If it gets messed up, dinged, dented, spilled on, needs a hole here or there, etc I'd don't cringe, just sand/plane it down every few years. .
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

Mine is made from a solid core birch door. Very heavy duty. SH
Guy LaRochelle said:

I made my top from Southern Yellow Pine, and works great. Maple was too pricey for me! As long as the birch is firm, and has no pith or soft spots, it should be fine.
http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/images/WorkBench01.jpg
http://videodoc.home.mindspring.com/images/Workbench02.jpg
FWIW,
Greg G.
Greg,
Nice bench and thanks for the info. I see in your pictures that you have a Delta jointer............what size is it? How do you like it? Regards. -Guy
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Guy LaRochelle said:

Thanks. Yes, I have a 6" DJ - it works great. They had a few problems with warping fences on the earlier models, but I got a later, improved version with a new casting - it's straight within .002" and no problems at all. Fairly quiet for a jointer, and I love the longer, taller fence.
Greg G.
Greg,
Do you find that a 6" is large enough or would an 8" be worth the price difference? Regards. -Guy
<Greg G.> wrote in message

Guy LaRochelle said:

I've had no need of a larger one - yet. Very seldom do I use stock wider than 6", as it tends to cup and twist when wider. The considerable price jump into the 8" and up jointers is financially unfeasible for me. Mostly I use it for edge jointing boards for glue up and straightening framing stock. I have a 13" planer as well - between the two I have not run into anything reasonable I couldn't work with. A nice 48" flat-bed drum sander would be nice, but... FWIW,
Greg G.