Workbench Lumber

Page 3 of 3
On Jan 27, 10:58 pm, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

So like, if you don't recognize what sort of dog this is:
http://slayeroffice.com/gr/javascript_the_cat.jpg
would you suppose it is some sort of dog you hadn't seen before?
--
FF

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 14:56:55 -0800 (PST), Fred the Red Shirt

Bernard, or Lab, or Wolfhound. If you only knew Jack Russels as dogs you might think a wolfhound or a St Bernard as some kind of Horse, cow, deer, or whatever else you might be aquainted with.. Likewise, you might think a particular oak was ash, hickory, or some other wood - just like some mistake them for Oak.

On Jan 29, 1:53 am, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

But if you DO see an animal that you DO recognize as being a cat, would you suppose it is really a dog you don't recognize?

Indeed but also irrelevant as the wood in the picture does not look like ask or hickory. It looks like rubber wood or ramin. I can't tell the difference between rubber wood or ramin, but neither looks at all like oak, ash, chestnut or any similar wood.
--
FF

My guess is that the wrong picture is being used.
BTW, K-Mart sells rubber or ramin wood furniture, the boxes or tags say color: oak. They don't say the wood is oak.
--
FF

I've bought several of the Ikea birch counter tops and have been quite happy with them....when shopping, the Oak version was indeed oak and looked very nice....Rod
message

I was just at an Ikea the other night and indeed the oak countertops there were oak.
--
FF

The prices and such listed for these tops at Ikea's web site are, on the surface, pretty attractive. I got curious to see how much it would cost to buy one on-line[1], as there is no Ikea close to me. In particular, I was interested in the beech top that is 73-1/4"L x 39-3/8"W x 1-1/2"T for $195. So I went through the process of filling out the web forms to start the order process. For shipping and handling, they want $308.40, plus they also add on $41.53 in tax for a grand total of $544.93. Obviously I didn't actually buy it. What also gets me is how they figure the tax at $41.53. I live in Texas, so state tax is 8.25%. Tax on $195 should only be $16.09.
So the local Woodcraft special[2] for a maple top that is 60"L x 30"W on sale for $215.99 plus local tax $17.82 would come to a total of $233.81. Much cheaper.
In another post, someone mentioned Grizzly also sells similar bench/counter tops. As it happens Grizzly has a top with the same dimensions as the Woodcraft one of 60"W x 30"L[3] for $159. On the same page, Grizzly lists how much for the shipping/freight: $74.00. For a grand total of $233.95.
So the Grizzly plus freight and the local Woodcraft are pretty close, but I'd go with the Woodcraft option as I could get it locally and presumably have the chance to inspect it in the store. If there were an Ikea close by, I'd definitely be interested in what they've got. But I'll never buy anything online from Ikea as it's obvious they're gouging on the shipping/handling and then padding what they're charging for sales tax.
[1]: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40091673 [2]: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidQ34 [3]: http://www.grizzly.com/products/Solid-Maple-Workbench-Top-60-Wide-x-30-Deep-x-1-3-4-Thick/G9914

remove ".invalid".

Oh oh, I didn't even realize Woodcraft had a location within driving range until you mentioned them, and now I've talked the wife into dropping by there this afternoon, just to take a look around. Something tells me she doesn't actually believe that. Thanks for the tip, I think. ;^)

http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/z_pdf/shopImprov/BobAndDavesGoodFastAndCheapBench-ne.pdf
I actually kinda doubt that it's "green"...it may be wet, but I haven't seen construction grade lumber that wasn't dried in mo years than I care to admit to having.
That said...it may be wet in a "sitting in the rain" kind of wet and it will twist and warp no matter what, so...let it sit, stickered, and pick and choose when it comes time to make your bench.
Mike
"The Davenport's" wrote:

You are invited to tour any lumber yard in SoCal to see a whole lot of wet construction grade lumber.
It is the norm, not the exception.
Lew
The Davenport's wrote:

The lumber one gets from either of the Borgs may not be "green", but if it was ever in a kiln, the kiln setting was for "rare", not "medium" or "well-done". The dimension lumber from those places usually looks great in the store, but it feels wet even when picking it up. Take it home and don't use it immediately and it will make corkscrews look straight in comparison.

the rain.
If one were to buy a pallet of that wood and let is set, banded in a dry place for a few years, one might get a pretty decent batch of dry dimension lumber. Fresh from the store, not so much.