Workbench joint designs

Page 2 of 2

Todd, if you have a drill press and forstner bits, as well as a 1" chisel and mallet, you can cut mortises.
The forstner bit should be the same size as the mortise will be wide, cut a row with each plunge close together, like 1/3 the size of the bit, wood up against a fence and clamped down on the table. Then it's chisel time, you can figure out the rest of that.
If you have a back saw, 12" to 14" or 16", you can cut tenons too. If it's a more basic quality of saw like a Sears, just cut on the inside of your marking lines, then chisel down to size, cleanly... even with a goddamn Sears chisel!
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid936166000 (just to see one, if you don't know)
Hand experience, as much as possible, is a great way to learn woodworking, this is what I am doing, and using stationary tools like table saws I keep to a minimum.
...hope this helps,
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

But save yourself a lot of cursing and sharpening by making sure any knots in the 4x4s are not where the mortises go. I learned that one the hard way..
-Leuf

Yeah but as well, doug fir knots are not all that big and not all that hard either, sometimes loaded with sap. Chipping out a chunk of a knot from the inside side of a mortise should be the real concern, and unsightly. I would avoid knots in the tenons as well for the same reason, loss of strength.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
OK I have had a lot of feedback about the mortise and tenon being wrong in many different ways so I have adjusted and made some treatments for the different joints. If you would be so kind as to let me know what you think it would be most appreciated.
http://www.realeyz.com/misc/mt_joints.jpg
Thanx again - all your comments are mucho appreciated!
- todd
: OK I have had a lot of feedback about the mortise and tenon being : wrong in many different ways so I have adjusted and made some : treatments for the different joints. If you would be so kind as to : let me know what you think it would be most appreciated.
:
http://www.realeyz.com/misc/mt_joints.jpg
You seem to have all logical options covered. Why not rely on hundreds of years of past experience? Get Landis' the Workbench Book, and see what's worked in the past (hint: it's not very complicated).
    -- Andy Barss