Workbench end vise question

Been reading a lot about workbench construction and, in particular, the construction of end vises. I note that most of the ones I have looked at use wood for the "tracks" and other support members.
Has anyone ever considered using heavy duty drawer slides (either a pair or one really wide one) for guiding the jaw in and out? The slides, of course, would be buried in the bench so that only wood would be visible. Where I work there are lots of "standard 19" electronics racks and they use some short, really heavy duty slides to slide electronics crates in and out. Thought they might als be useful in an end vise.
Opinions??
Bill Leonhardt
On 12/4/2012 11:18 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Hadn't thought of them for the purpose, no...but if you protect the slides from collecting sawdust so they don't get difficult, sounds like a clever use. Some of the rack slides indeed are solid enough. I'd like to have a cheap source for heavy storage slides...
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 09:18:26 -0800 (PST), Bill Leonhardt

I doubt that sheetmetal glides, even heavy-duty ones, would handle the pounding and angular torsion a vise gets, Bill. You'll notice that most vise glides are 5/8"+ solid steel bars with steel plate mounts 1/4-3/8" thick. I'd strongly recommend against it.
-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin
Bill Leonhardt wrote:

One of the problems with an end vise, and the reason I did not go that route, is they tend to droop after awhile. Instead I went with a "wagon vise"
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz - workbenches/wagon-vise-version-4-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwMvoNxn76A

Except I made mine from a Jorgensen large veneer press screw and stabllized it with a 1/2" board the same length as the movable piece/jaw and an inch and a half wider. I captured this board, which is centered on the bottom of the movable jaw, in two runners on the bottom of the bench, mounted next to the opening the movable jaw travels in. You will want to use 1/4" bolts to fasten the veneer press screw to the cross piece on the end of the bench.
There are several advantages of this vise over the traditional end vise, cost (unless you buy a premade wagon vise from someone like Benchcrafted), the fact it will not sag. It holds extremely well and is easy to adjust.
Deb

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?pf819&cat=1,41659 ^^^^^ I considered one of those, but for those fewer times that I needed one, I figured it would be easier to go with some bench dogs and one of these. vvvvv http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?pc825&cat=1,41659
On 12/4/2012 11:18 AM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Just bite the bullet and be the envy of every guy in your neighborhood.
http://benchcrafted.com/TailVise.html
Check out the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
jCTdM4V4Y
and my personal favorite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWe32IDX-Ec

Careful watching these, your going to want one, or two!

Or, for almost the same money, he can give in to the buy Lee Valley Tools fetish that most of us have.. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pp160&catQ&ap=1
On 12/5/2012 8:51 AM, Dave wrote:

Ahhh. Is that the only way you can get one in Canada? I see they do not sell it in the US thru LV.

You're right! I selected United States as my purchase base and it disappeared. Wonder why that is? I'm guessing weight and the cost to ship it for making it unfeasible.
On 12/5/2012 9:42 AM, Dave wrote:

Hard to say why as weight does not seem to be an issue with their other similar heavy products. Maybe an agreement with the manufacturer. LV may be the Canadian distributor.

There are several dealers in each country, but no single dealer in multiple countries. http://benchcrafted.com/Dealers.html

Thanks for all the responses. I've been studying bench construction and I am aware of the very nice hardware from Benchcrafted, Lee Valley, etc. Nice stuff indeed.
In the end, I'm looking forward to building "the ultimate bench" which might include some of this type of hardware. For now, I'm just trying to prototype the various ways one can employ "work holding" to see what works best for me. My thought was to inexpensively mock-up a tail vise to see how it might suit my needs using drawer slides. I have an Acme screw and nut from Lee Valley. Besides draw slides, I also have my eye out (while dumpster diving) for a slide assembly like:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#sleeve-bearing-carriages/=kgpe8f
Thanks again, Bill
On 12/5/2012 3:13 PM, Bill Leonhardt wrote:

Well, if you want to know about a traditional unit build one. If you want to know about how an end vise works, take a regular vise and mount it. I don't use the bench dogs on my vise, I put wooden faces on and use the bench dogs I drilled in. see http://woodchucker.imgur.com/ see the shop images. I have 2 holes in the face, one on top, and one on the side (not used right now).
I am sure you will love a traditional, which has the added capability of holding a piece perpendicular to the bench face. I love my version, it's the first time I have had a solid (really solid) top and dogs. they are used all the time now.
On 12/5/2012 10:48 AM, Leon wrote:

That's my bet too.

For the other cheapskates among us, I built a similarly designed vise, of course not as smooth to operate and cruder construction, with parts taken from an old scissors jack.