Workbench design help?

NO it doesn't allow access to both sides of the table leg!

Reply to
woodchucker

snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

to do that now

at it funny, so I'm

ertainly valid, but I

you disagree, I'd

like this one?

Not sure how the vise in your picture is built, but this link shows more detail of the construction of a traditional tail vise and the reason for the "L":

Denis G.

Yes that is also part of it. When made of wood the l provides supporting guide rails on the L.

When you look at it from underneath or flipped over. It is the part that prevents racking. And separation of the L piece from the Jaw since the JAW continues under the bench.

Reply to
woodchucker

Because they offer a lot of benefits too. The sagging can be fixed. Usually the support pieces underneath need redoing.

I'll see if I can post a pic of the underneath of an L from Frank Klausz's bench.

Reply to
woodchucker

It will give you more access to the other side than your front vise.

Reply to
Bill

See the binaries I posted pics of Frank Klauz's bench article.. just the tail vise section... pictures are worth a 1000 words.

Reply to
woodchucker

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:5161d510$0$38932$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I've read that article several times, and I'm still unc "The main reason why a traditional tail vise is so darn useful is because of the unobstructed gap you get in the front of your bench. this gives you the perfect way to solidly clamp chair legs, or any long part that needs to be held while you work on it from one end. You also have space on both sides of the work for tools."

But a leg vise accomplishes essentially the same th "the tail vise also has dog holes so I can easily clamp boards ... longer than my bench,"

Not very much longer, he can't.

"and have them supported all along the underside, except for a small gap. With a end mounted face vise you just don't get that kind of support. "

This is simply nonsense. An end mounted face vise is also capable of clamping boards longer than the bench and having them supported over nearly their entire length

Reply to
Doug Miller

woodchucker wrote in news:2LOdnTdTn8- RR_zMnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

But what *are* the benefits? What can I do with that type of vise that I can't do, or can't do as easily, with a leg vise or an end-mounted face vise?

Reply to
Doug Miller

innews:MNadnYHTI99rRP3MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

do that now

it funny, so I'm

certainly valid, but I

disagree, I'd

like this one?

I thought there might be a guide on that end.

Reply to
Leon

do, or can't do as

One of the benefits is having support on both sides of the jaws with the traditional. When using a standard vise, like on mine, I only get 3 inches of support over the vise. (The depth of my pad on my vises face)

There are a few others I am sure.But of course you are right most can be done with a metal vise. I would like to have a traditional over the metal vise I have. But I compromised.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have a SJÖBERGS catalog and they show only one bench with an L vise, it is holding a round object with concave jaws in the vise.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

ve to do that now

ok at it funny, so I'm

e certainly valid, but I

if you disagree, I'd

ses like this one?

Scott Landis' book (The Workbench Book) in Chap. 4 also has the details from when he visits Frank Klausz's workshop.

Reply to
Denis G.

Remember you have PSI - or pounds per square inch. The wide face provides low PSI and as you try to add more you run the risk of breaking the screw.

I thought the table length vises were double screws.

Mart> woodchucker wrote in

funny, so I'm

certainly valid, but I

disagree, I'd

this one?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Martin Eastburn wrote in news:P%q8t.88254$97.25621@en-nntp-

16.dc1.easynews.com:

Well, yes, but... first, high clamping pressures aren't normally needed when holding boards for woodworking with either hand or power tools, and second, I'm not really all that worried about breaking a 1" diameter steel screw. I'm pretty sure the vise's mounting bolts would rip out of the benchtop first.

Reply to
Doug Miller