Workbench countertop from T&G flooring

I just finished clearing out a workarea alongside my parked cars in the garage, (there's an area about 20 x 12 open space parallel to the parking area), with four overhead cabinets and three commercial (metal) workbenchs lined up end to end. For appearance and convenience, I'm planning on adding a countertop to the three workbenches to make everything look more like one unit. I have enough left-over flooring (unfinished t&g Brazilian Cherry) to do the entire top and my plan is to just glue everything up, miter the corners and perhaps rout out a small depression each side to keep anything from rolling off, and securing it as one long countertop to each of the three workbenches. When done, it would look a little like a miniature one-piece bowling alley covering all three workbenches.

I've never seen anyone do anything like this, but surely using t&g flooring for this isn't a new idea. It doesn't look like a difficult task. Have I overlooked something, and are there some hidden reasons why this shouldn't be done?

Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

"World Traveler" wrote in news:4%Poe.16151$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

The use of flooring is OK with me. Linking all of the benches together, however, reduces the flexibility of arrangement that meets MY needs. Which change from project to project, and vary with tools coming and going.

Jewelry boxes. Entertainment centers. Beds. Clock cases. Bathroom vanities. Mirrors. Kitchen pantry cabinets. Mantels. Bowls. Art display cases. Tools & handles. A lot of stuff gets done, and takes different setups. Try not to limit your possibilities.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

My brother did something similar when he built his work shop. The only thing different was that he used recycled flooring he got out of a job he did. It looked and worked great.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill

(snip)

That's the way I built my bench 35 years ago. It still looks great and has served me well. Here is a link with photos.

Vaughn Visit My Workshop:

Ken Vaughn

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas. I'm going ahead with the project -- and with regard to the comment about the workbench lineup, I have an adjacent woodshop that will provide the flexibility for various projects. I appreciate your advice. Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler