Work table design ideas?

Strong and flat. Remember you might want to clamp something down on it to flatten it or square something up.

If it must be movable - consider taking legs off.

If you don't go butcher block style, then consider multiple MDF or ply layers attached together.

Mart> "S>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Spent some time with SketchUp this evening, and some of the ideas here, and here's what I've personally about decided to go with for an assembly table:

I'm feeling cheap, so the top will probably be a cut down 30" x 6' 8" hollow core door, which I already have in storage, and with a laminate on the surface. The rest is just tubafours.

Castors should put at just the right height for my purposes, it's narrow enough to move around the existing workbench and out the door, and a 3" overhang all around allows a clamping hold. I like the 30" width because you can easily use cauls and the table edge to clamp across a work piece at that width, and you can always throw a wider top on temporarily if necessary.

Reply to
Swingman

I'd throw a replaceable 1/4 hardboard over that interior door skin rather than a laminate to toughen up the work surface a bit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Swingman" wrote

Just a suggestion. If for any reason you may want to hammer or apply any kind of stress to the table surface, you could damage the casters. What I have done was to use a wider board in each corner. That way If I needed it solid, I could just lift it up and slid a block underneath. The caster would then clear the floor and the table becomes very solid.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote

The castors in the drawing are symbolic, and although the ones I have will hold up an elephant, you're right, few castors will provide the solidity that a block of wood would, and the need may well arise.

Good idea ... thanks!

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

No problem, just passing on what I have seen a few shops in my time. I have seen this idea with the blocks attached to the corners with nylon rope, so they will not be misplaced. I have also seen this idea with a 2 X 4 under the bench, clearly marked to prevent it from being poached for another purpose, and just thrown under the end when needed.

Symbolic castors, eh?? It seems to me I bought a stereo rack once that had "symbolic castors". They didn't work worth a damn. :)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Reply to
Joe Brophy