Work boots not made in USA rant

Page 3 of 3
On 17 Oct 2003 18:10:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) wrote:

What happened to the original New Hampshire (?) Timberlands ? I have a pair of those that are ten years old; I paid a load of money for them and I'd happily replace them with the same. Are they still made, or are all Timberlands made in China ?
On 17 Oct 2003 18:10:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

try here
http://www.lacrosse-outdoors.com /
100% made in USA
Take a look at this site
http://www.usstuff.com/shoes.htm

Be careful buying Redwing boots too. Not all are made 100% USA. Quite a few of their boots have uppers manufactured overseas and assembled in the US. A few years ago they were 100% US, but no longer. Many of their boots are made 100% in the US, you just gotta look at the tags when you buy them. Greg
Try Redwing boots. Made in Redwing, MN.

Not necessarily true! Some of Redwing boots have parts manufactured oversea then assembled in the US. Not the same quality as the good old Redwing boot. Watch the labels in the tongue of the boot, some say made in US, some say something like "uppers made in China, assembled in US" or something of the same meaning. Greg
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:13:00 -0500, "Greg O"

So...those particular boots are of lesser quality?
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

oversea
boot.
the
I don't know. Every boot that I bought that was made in China did not hold up as well as my made in USA Redwings, so I did not take the chance. Also I am just pointing out that just because someone buys Redwings, it does no guarantee that they are 100% US made. Greg
Got a pair. Size 11e. Feel great at first but after numerous attempts, I can't wear them for more than two hours before my feet hurt so bad that I have to change. $165.00 shot.

I wore nothing but Redwings for work 20+ years ago. Then a job change got me back into boots again. I tried hiking boots, but they would fall apart after about 6 months or so, no mater what brand I bought. Back to Redwing I went. I was surprised to see boots that had China labels on them, but I did find a pair I liked that were 100% made in USA. Those suckers took a week of 10 hour days to break in. I did not think I was going to live through it! But now they are as comfortable as any boot I have owned. Greg
I wore Georgia boots for years. The first time I tried a pair of them they were as perfect as I had ever found. Comfortable from the first day and just got beter. Over the years, the price remained the same. Each new pair was harder to break in. The last pair I owned, I could not break them in. Just couldn't wear them. The price had stayed the same by reducing quality to the point that they were unwearable.

me
after
went.
I don't know if the problem is stiff leather or Your feet not doing well with the sole system. If it is stiff leather on any good boot, here is the best solution.
Make sure that it will not be freezing the next day. Fill the new boots with warm water; warm seems to soak into the leather better. Leave the water in overnight. If there is still water in them in the morning, dump it out. Use the thickness of socks that you will wear with the boots. Put 'em on and wear them till they're dry. Apply neatsfoot oil, snow seal, or whatever boot protection you prefer. Best fitting boots you'll ever experience.
############ Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)
Greg O wrote:

It's the sole. Problem is my feet, not the boots. I have somewhat unusual feet.

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:13:48 -0500, "Phil Mitchell"
More than likely, SOMETHING in the manufacturing process...raw materials, machinery, etc...is made in some other country.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
On 17 Oct 2003 18:10:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) wrote:

I have a pair of "Smith's American" work boots.
Deep inside, on the tongue, it says "Made in China". <G>
Good luck in the search!
Barry
In 1970 I bought a "genuine African safari hat" in Ethiopia. It had a tag in it that said "made in England". :)
in message (Teej) wrote:

Around 1973, I watched someone drag a large (and very ugly, but this was the '70s) vase back from Romania. Handing it down the stairs of the coach, back home in England, it was turned upside down for the first time - revealing the "Made in Birmingham" mark.
Seems that Romania always had a big trade with Brum. The local word for doorlock is "yahle", a corruption of the well-known Midlands firm "Yale".
-- The revolution will not be merchandised
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 20:31:05 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

They should quit tagging products in this way.