Work boots not made in USA rant

Went to Dick`s sporting goods,JC Penny,Macy`s and sears looking for a quality workboot (9 inch) made in the USA. None of them carried any. Almost 100% of the boots were made in china,timberland mostly and sold at a quality price. Ended up going to a little shoe store and paid a bit to much for a quality Wolverene Durashock boot.Not much more than the chinese Timberlands I might add. Carharts are also getting heavy into chinese,pakastan and malasya. If you look hard there are still some made in the USA. Socks were no problem,made in the USA. Duofolds long johns were assembled in Mexico with USA parts. Hopefully I kept a few americans working a bit longer.The worst part is big business is buying very cheap Chinese products and selling them to us at quality prices pocketing big profits while putting us out of work. This is about work clothes,a little off topic or not.Just felt like venting a bit after several hours of shopping for 1 pair of work boots.

Reply to
Teej

I live outside a city that used to be called the Rubber Capital of the World. Akron, Ohio. It is nothing like the boom times, a depressed area with very few blue collar jobs that pay a livable wage. Tire plants gone.

South of Akron is HQ for Hoover Corp. They are shutting down production in Canton, where workers were making in the $18-22 per hr, moving production to Texas and Mexico, where workers will make between something like $11-13 per hr in Texas, and across the border $2.50 per DAY.

East of Akron was Lordstown GM plant, so much for those days.

North of Akron in Cleveland area, Ford Motor in Northfield and Parma, Parma jobs are gone soon.

Steel Plants in Youngstown, Cleveland, Canton gone.

Along with this was the trucking companies that used to line the highways, with high paying jobs all around. Gone

When we as consumers tell the companies HQed in the U.S.A. but manufacturer more across our borders and overseas, that we had enough and to shut them all down. We will see change, there are investors knocking on the door that want to see this happen. We will survive.

You may not remember the days when GM blamed cheap Japanese steel on their bodies rusting out, it was GM that specified the make up of steel, ripping off the consumer and passing the blame on to Japan.

Its past time to send a message to big business and tell them we've had enough, frankly I don't care which Nationality/Country owns U.S. based companies, surely they will treat our own better than we have seen.

Time to stop buying U.S. made products, that corporate greed shuns the worker and their families. They keep just a handful of jobs within the U.S. so we as consumers have this guilt feeling if we don't buy their product. This is not what the good ole U.S. of A is about.

Reply to
Josh

Find a Redwing store. Good work boots/shoes and I'm pretty sure they're 100% made in the USA. (Hope I'm not wrong)

Erik

Reply to
ELAhrens

Here's my favorite

kenR

All with the blessing of the government, the best politicians money can buy.

Reply to
CW

What happened to the original New Hampshire (?) Timberlands ? I have a pair of those that are ten years old; I paid a load of money for them and I'd happily replace them with the same. Are they still made, or are all Timberlands made in China ?

Andy Dingley

On 17 Oct 2003 18:10:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nycap.rr.com (Teej) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

try here

made in USA

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

It's all about the bottom line. Don't tell me that you buy Tofts milk for $3 a gallon because it's "local" when Wal Mart has it for $2. If a union worker in Cleveland is going to demand $22/hr to do a job that a guy in Fort Worth is gonna do for $11/hr, why not hire the Texas guy? Every business is IN business for one thing--to make money. If company executives can increase profits to shareholders, why shouldn't they?

BTW, you wouldn't by chance be a member of the United Brotherhood of Something or Other, would you?

-Phil Crow, with reawakened sense of righteous indignation.

Reply to
Phil Crow

Take a look at this site

Reply to
charles

In article , Righteous Nation wrote: [mindless anti-Catholic raving snipped]

Dude! You forgot to take your medicine this morning.

Doug Miller

You REALLY need to remember to take your medicine EVERY day.

Doug Miller

Are you just TRYING to tweak this idiot to see nom many times he will repost his crap?

Kill files are good.

Reply to
alexy

Mea culpa.

He's there now. I should have plonked him after the first post. My apologies to the group.

Doug Miller

Ad hominem rather than reason from...a Uniate papist - just like Stalin?

Reply to
Righteous Nation

Similar thread on employee/employer highlights the real problem - we want it all, from "environment," where we want both the tree and the paper, through "entitlement," where we want benefit without payment. Boils quickly down to no responsibility. Even the religious want "cafeteria style," where they chose what commandment to keep and what to break. Oh well, no way of placating whiners. The responsible will just have to support them and be vilified for it same as always.

Reply to
George

Comments inserted

Never shopped Walmart, and never will. Wal Mart is another prime example of proven mistreatment of employees, but people will shop there and cry buy American. FYI, I do buy a local brand of milk, never heard of Tofts but probably would buy it if it were local.

Think you missed the point. The Texas workers for Hoover will be out of a job next, soon as Hoover gets situated across the border.

The _average_ shareholder is being hoodwinked. Let's use Goodyear as an example, share is worth something like $2, where as it was up to $70. I don't see the brass taking a paycut, but put a new CEO in there for a couple million a year, the other ones step down drawing their salaries for 5 years. Who is taking the beating here? It's really not complicated to figure it out. The company shows a loss, not profit. Reorganize etc and keep doing it, been going on for years, they have the smartest lawyers money can buy. There are loop holes that you can keep operating in the red, you just have to hire the biggest guns out there to do it.

No, I am an owner of a building company, and I do use union help which is required on certain jobs. You have something against Unions?

You can make money being a business owner, the workers can make money. You just don't rape your workers and demand more.

Reply to
Josh

I have no problem with Texas vs Cleveland, it's Cleveland vs China that bothers me.

You apparently believe that a corporation (or more acccurately its owners) have no obligation to the community and nation that allowed them to prosper in the first place. I don't agree.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Be careful buying Redwing boots too. Not all are made 100% USA. Quite a few of their boots have uppers manufactured overseas and assembled in the US. A few years ago they were 100% US, but no longer. Many of their boots are made

100% in the US, you just gotta look at the tags when you buy them. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

You got it. Companies are (supposed to be) a part of our social environment. We don't work just for money - we work because we are (supposed to be) doing something useful. However, shifting real work to the cheapest labour and replacing those jobs with paper pushing, hamburger flipping and lawyering doesn't maintain the "useful work" part of the equation.

Beggar your neighbour economics only works in the short run.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly