Words to live by?

When you need a machine that uses electricity to make something as sharp as a razor travel several thousand RPMs and you will be standing less than a foot away from it during the process . . . DON'T buy the house brand!

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

What happened? --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Exactly why medieval chain mail and later full armor were invented. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I'm put in mind of the cartoon that appeared in Aviation Leak many years ago--two astronauts are in a Gemini spacecraft in orbit and one says to the other "I just realized that every part of this thing was made by the lowest bidder."

Reply to
J. Clarke

standing

Nothing in particular. I was just thinking of buying a light-weight

1/4" router for light trim, etc. and there are some really cheap ones out there. But the thought hit me. Do I want to trust Bosch or Makita or something imported from Thailand with a crooked label showing a brand name of "Busy Bee" or somesuch?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

experience talking?

Reply to
bridger

I wouldn't use a Homier power tool (even if the didn't break in the first 5 minutes), but I doubt any tool sold by a normal store is going to fail catastrophically. The law suits would quickly put them out of business.

Your house brand router is going have significant run out, the bearing will wear out pretty quickly. and they might be poorly designed. It will not explode. If bad run out and short life aren't problems for you, they can be good buys.

Reply to
toller

Chain mail dates back to the Romans.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Recent research has the first powered routers being made by Aeolipile, Inc. Run by a chap by name of Hermington Wesley Hero. Little known drips of wisdom from jo4hn's john. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

No shit??!!

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Good thinking. The wife got me an el cheapo router, and it nearly took my palm off. Now there's a nice PC 691 in it's place. OTOH, there are some good uses for cheap tools- my dad got me a "tool shop" (dirty words in my household) reciprocating saw last X-mas, and so far it's worked just fine- all I use it for is roughly chopping holes in drywall and lopping a bit off the occasional piece of angle iron or rebar, so cheap is all I need.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus