Words to live by?

When you need a machine that uses electricity to make something as sharp as a razor travel several thousand RPMs and you will be standing less than a foot away from it during the process . . . DON'T buy the house brand!
FoggyTown
What happened? --dave

Dave Jackson wrote:

standing
the
Nothing in particular. I was just thinking of buying a light-weight 1/4" router for light trim, etc. and there are some really cheap ones out there. But the thought hit me. Do I want to trust Bosch or Makita or something imported from Thailand with a crooked label showing a brand name of "Busy Bee" or somesuch?
FoggyTown

Good thinking. The wife got me an el cheapo router, and it nearly took my palm off. Now there's a nice PC 691 in it's place. OTOH, there are some good uses for cheap tools- my dad got me a "tool shop" (dirty words in my household) reciprocating saw last X-mas, and so far it's worked just fine- all I use it for is roughly chopping holes in drywall and lopping a bit off the occasional piece of angle iron or rebar, so cheap is all I need.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
foggytown wrote:

Exactly why medieval chain mail and later full armor were invented.     j4
jo4hn wrote:

Chain mail dates back to the Romans.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Recent research has the first powered routers being made by Aeolipile, Inc. Run by a chap by name of Hermington Wesley Hero. Little known drips of wisdom from jo4hn's john.     j4

No shit??!!
foggytown wrote:

I'm put in mind of the cartoon that appeared in Aviation Leak many years ago--two astronauts are in a Gemini spacecraft in orbit and one says to the other "I just realized that every part of this thing was made by the lowest bidder."

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
There was a great Herman cartoon where he had his arm around what looked like a 30 inch saw blade. He was trying to loosen the nut and had it wedged under his arm. The caption read "Get away from that switch!" max

experience talking?

I wouldn't use a Homier power tool (even if the didn't break in the first 5 minutes), but I doubt any tool sold by a normal store is going to fail catastrophically. The law suits would quickly put them out of business.
Your house brand router is going have significant run out, the bearing will wear out pretty quickly. and they might be poorly designed. It will not explode. If bad run out and short life aren't problems for you, they can be good buys.