WoodWorks shows?

I got a flyer in the mail for the "WoodWorks" show in Ontario, Calif. Are these shows like the Woodworking Shows with exhibitors selling tools, etc? The Woodworks show has lectures that cost $40, whereas the Woodworking shows had free lectures.

Here's the URL for the Ontario show:

Mike Iglesias

The WW shows are nice and I enjoy going to them. But, the thing that irks me about them is that you have to spend money to......... spend money. They should have free admission to them.

>> --

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Dave

I think the charges are to keep out those that aren't really interested, just don't have anything better to do. I know if I was a vendor, I'd want something to keep out those that really aren't interested.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

>> --

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

The WoodWorks shows are sponsored by Popular Woodworking. I think the Woodworking Shows are sponsored by Taunton (Fine Woodworking), though I don't know if either set of shows is owned by the publisher or just sponsored. WoodWorks has a heavy dose of turning, and some of the vendors are different. You can get fairly high end Japanese Chisels at the WoodWorks shows, but Lie Nielson wasn't at the last one. There was an old tool dealer that also sold LN planes, but his stock on hand was limited. JapaneseTools.com, in addition to the chisels, has the Shapton Waterstones. Also, the seminar selection and speakers are different. Michael Dresdner is one of the speakers. Needless to say, his seminars are on finishing.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund

I went last year and I really enjoyed it. I saw various sessions on hand cutting dovetails (I think his name was Krauss, or something like that). I was impressed.

Glen

>> --

snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu

Reply to
Glen

That would be Frank Klausz. He is suberb.

He, Garrett Hack, Ernie Conover, Mario Rodriguez and Strotehr Purdy are coming to our club show April 17th and 18th, Hofstra Universsity on Long Island.

The seminars are free.

Frank's ability with dovetails, and all facets of woodworking is amazing.

Reply to
DarylRos

Yes, you're right. That was his name. Thanks for the correction.

Glen

Reply to
Glen

Reply to
jo4hn

are a real change of pace. They do have many free demos and lectures and also paid ones as well. You can visit with the great ones right on the show floor. Hope to see you at the show.... Mike from American Sycamore

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

> Guess what a free lecture is worth? NOT MUCH>>>>The Woodworks shows

Mike,

I hope you don't really believe that. Most of the best advice I've gotten about woodworking has been free. This site is just one example of a way to learn without significant cost. I've also gleaned a great deal of useful information from people such as Graham Blackburn and Kelly Mehler, as well as the very nice people at the Lie Nielson booth, just to name a few. I have also attended some paid lectures. Some were good, others less so.

Will I still do the paid lectures? Sure. Usually, you get more depth, if only because they have more time. In fact, I'm going to do the three lecture package at the Ontario show. I'll be at "Maximize Your Router", "Furniture Joinery & Construction", and one other. I haven't made up my mind between "Chip Carving Basics" and "Advanced Woodfinishing". They are, of course, at approximately the same time.

Of course, one key to learning from the free lectures is to seek gems amongst the coal. To do so, you must listen without prejudgement. I am NOT a stain and poly type of guy, but that does not mean that I didn't get some useful information at the free lecture given by Jerry Terhark, several years back, at The Woodworking Shows event in Denver, Colorado. For instance, if you are going to use water based finishes, you should avoid those tack rags you can get at the borg. They all contain oil based products (IIRC, tung or linseed oil).

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund