"Woodworking Women"

I think that his comment was more directed at the magazine than at women woodworkers.

It's like having a financial magazine for women. 'Money' magazine came out with a women's edition which was totally dumbed-down compared to it's mainstream counterpart. That definitely sends the message that in order to gain women's interest in a subject that has classically been direct toward men, that the topic would have to be simplified.

It just plain makes no sense why there would need to be a seperate woodworking magazine for women. The wood doesn't care who is working it. The exact same principles, techniques, and tools apply, regardless of the gender of the user. So, what is there to differentiate them. Content. Articles will probably be something like:

"Blue, Yellow, Red, Green. Why don't power tools come in prettier colors?" "How to build a display shelf for your antique doll collection." "Tool Review: Dremel attachments for nail polishing. Manicures made easy."

I saw it on the newsstand, but didn't think it worthy of even a quick thumb-through. I mean, really, what's the point?

codepath

"Woodworking

Reply to
codepath

Where in Kansas? Just curious as I'm in Lawrence, KS and don't know of any women woodworkers in the area.

I'm a professional cabinetmaker and know most of the builders in the area.

Reply to
FreeState

SWMBO went to the Atlanta Woodworking show with me the end of Jan, and picked up a copy of that mag.

Typcial dumbed down magazine, mainly on the level of the daytime HGTV shows where they show projects that are aimed at the female viewers

SWMBO even commented that the articles were a lot on the EASY side compared to the woodworking mags I subscribe to. I had to agree. Actually, if it had not had the title it had, I would have suspected from the articles that it was geared towards the beginning CHILD getting into basic woodworking, like a cubscout or boyscout oriented projects

John

Reply to
John Crea

Makes sense to me. Look at Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Woodworker's Journal. Check out the staffs. Check out the growth to include women in recent years and months. Only very stupid people ignore women in any field these days. That said, it does not mean that every subject needs a woman's version. Participation is often, maybe usually, enough.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

I think a lot of women suffer from the notion that they're not up to doing many things that we males have been brought up to take on without a second thought.

ICBW but I think there may be two primary causes: [1] Over-protection by well-intentioned men (especially by fathers and significant others) and [2] failure to exert themselves to learn and pursue full self-development (laziness?)

The most important message from these publications isn't about woodworking (or stock trading or any other activity) - but the reassurance that if they want to 'learn and do' there's no reason in the world for them not to.

If it takes a women's woodworking magazine (or a pink Unisaur) to make that happen, then I'm all for it!

Even though I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the idea of pink tools in /my/ shop...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Aw that night when your sleeping comphie and their forearm hurts so bad = that they are almost in tears. That's when they will understand to = listen to a pro and forget about gender. Puff BTW Never have I done anything in life that my wife could not do. She = has helped me pour and finish concrete. She has helped me build sheds = and pole barns. She owned and rode every day her own KZ1000. By help I = mean as a team thing. Give them respect fella's they have earned it.

Reply to
Puff Griffis

The problem comes when folks think that men have this built in gene or sumptin' that gives them the inate ability or knowledge about carpentry or woodworking or other "male" things.

e.g. Trying to show some Habitat volunteers how to swing a hammer. Let the hammer do more of the work. Holding it closer to the end gives more power (though less control). Well, the comment I get back

- but so and so told us the opposite (hold it nearer the head). Hey, who am I to argue with A Man ;-) Let 'em figure it out for themselves.

However, I fall victim to this thinking myself. I usually gives guys more benefit of the doubt and assume they know what they're doing more readily than gals. I am learning though, and getting better in realizing to assess folks before jumping to any conclusion as to their skills.

Renata

Reply to
Renata

yeah... like one of the regulars here has as a sig....

those who know the least usually know it the loudest.

unfortunately, in a field where men are assumed to know more, a loud man will likely prevail over a knowledgeable woman. it goes the other way too. I knew a man who was really good with sewing. his family had been in upholstery for generations. he learned it as a kid and practised it professionally. he just happened to _look_ like a clueless doofus guy. it sure amazed me when I saw his work.....

Bridger

Reply to
Bridger