"Woodworking Women"

Page 3 of 3
My daughter is in her 2nd semester of Woodshop in high school. The stories she tells me about some of the boys in her class. Morons. I'm in my 4th semester at the local community college and I see the first time males in the beginning class, who are older than me, having major problems measuring and cutting! I'm no pro, but at my entry level 1 1/2 yrs ago, I still knew what a drill and sander did.

Well good for your daughter ! she'll weed out the morons that don't count. Male ego can be positive & negative at times towards a lady trying something new or breaking away old mindset boundaries. Most womn i know that do WW-ing are much better at detail work than most guys. Maybe the upper body strength is not there but they can over come that with wisdom and given a chance.
Where in Kansas? Just curious as I'm in Lawrence, KS and don't know of any women woodworkers in the area.
I'm a professional cabinetmaker and know most of the builders in the area.
says...

well have a look here then there are a lot of competent female furniture makers and in europe a lot of excelent site carpenters...I worked with a couple over ten years ago www.womeninwoodworking.com
I think that his comment was more directed at the magazine than at women woodworkers.
It's like having a financial magazine for women. 'Money' magazine came out with a women's edition which was totally dumbed-down compared to it's mainstream counterpart. That definitely sends the message that in order to gain women's interest in a subject that has classically been direct toward men, that the topic would have to be simplified.
It just plain makes no sense why there would need to be a seperate woodworking magazine for women. The wood doesn't care who is working it. The exact same principles, techniques, and tools apply, regardless of the gender of the user. So, what is there to differentiate them. Content. Articles will probably be something like:
"Blue, Yellow, Red, Green. Why don't power tools come in prettier colors?" "How to build a display shelf for your antique doll collection." "Tool Review: Dremel attachments for nail polishing. Manicures made easy."
I saw it on the newsstand, but didn't think it worthy of even a quick thumb-through. I mean, really, what's the point?
codepath

"Woodworking
something
SWMBO went to the Atlanta Woodworking show with me the end of Jan, and picked up a copy of that mag.
Typcial dumbed down magazine, mainly on the level of the daytime HGTV shows where they show projects that are aimed at the female viewers
SWMBO even commented that the articles were a lot on the EASY side compared to the woodworking mags I subscribe to. I had to agree. Actually, if it had not had the title it had, I would have suspected from the articles that it was geared towards the beginning CHILD getting into basic woodworking, like a cubscout or boyscout oriented projects
John

codepath writes:

Makes sense to me. Look at Popular Woodworking, Fine Woodworking, Woodworker's Journal. Check out the staffs. Check out the growth to include women in recent years and months. Only very stupid people ignore women in any field these days. That said, it does not mean that every subject needs a woman's version. Participation is often, maybe usually, enough.
Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin
Charlie Self wrote:

I think a lot of women suffer from the notion that they're not up to doing many things that we males have been brought up to take on without a second thought.
ICBW but I think there may be two primary causes: [1] Over-protection by well-intentioned men (especially by fathers and significant others) and [2] failure to exert themselves to learn and pursue full self-development (laziness?)
The most important message from these publications isn't about woodworking (or stock trading or any other activity) - but the reassurance that if they want to 'learn and do' there's no reason in the world for them not to.
If it takes a women's woodworking magazine (or a pink Unisaur) to make that happen, then I'm all for it!
Even though I'm not terribly enthusiastic about the idea of pink tools in /my/ shop...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA