woodworking with hand tools

Page 2 of 4
woodchucker wrote:

That along with "unnecessary bickering" with krw made me put him in the "troll" category. Am I wrong? I want to do what I can to reduce troll-participation. Trolls seek to waste our time and denigrate our newsgroups.
On 4/16/2014 6:43 PM, Bill wrote:

You picked the wrong one to put in the troll category. KRW fits the TROLL...
--
Jeff

On 4/16/2014 5:43 PM, Bill wrote:

Consider Bill the disagreement that you and I had a few days back about steel strings. ;~) I don't think that either of us was kill filed although that discussion might have been seen as a similar incident. We all get rubbed the wrong way now and then but I don't believe any of us, well except maybe Stinky, deserves to be censored.
On 4/16/2014 9:36 AM, Bill wrote:

Might want to reconsider. Dave is not a troll by any definition of the word, or deed.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

I'm willing to reconsider and apologize. Wasn't he the one carrying on an ongoing bicker-session with krw? As you may know, I don't come here to argue with anyone. Maybe it was a misunderstanding? His post appeared to exhibit "troll behavior" though. Maybe I can take classes on recognizing troll behavior when I see it...
Bill
On 4/16/2014 5:47 PM, Bill wrote:

Dave, an exceptionally good guy, has added a lot to the newsgroup down through the years. He, simply put, doesn't take shit off anyone. Give him a break.
Started lurking here in the late nineties, starting posting under another name ("Chakra", if you can believe that) around 2000, and my current in 2001, and trust me, we will all have our turn in that barrel at some point ... some of us more than others. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 4/16/2014 5:47 PM, Bill wrote:

If you want an exact definition of a troll, take a look at who responded to you in a rather vulgar manner at 8:05 pm.
Leon wrote:

I had already forgotten about that one until I looked it up! It looks like he likes you too! ;)
On 4/16/2014 11:44 PM, Bill wrote:

I attract all the crack pots.
On 4/16/2014 11:48 PM, Leon wrote:

Hereah! ... I thought it was French models? LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

No, it's trolling if you try to split the group too. Since you have some supporters, I unkill-filed you (not that you have to care..lol). I've been wrong before, this surely won't be the last time.
Bill
On 4/16/2014 5:55 PM, Bill wrote:

Great!
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:22:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wind.net wrote:

I use FF also and It played well for me. I do run into jerky videos from time to time. I think their servers get throttled back for some reason.
On 4/15/2014 2:53 AM, Bill wrote:

Geez. His pile of shavings is nicer than some of my work, and his shop is neater than my house. Whoever complained about the reverberation on the video can blame the large uncluttered shop. As if that isn't enough to be jealous of, apparently the video was shot "con luz natural".
I'm curious. Given adequate free time, would any of you do the rip-sawing and thickness-planing by hand? Untouched as I am by any personal experience, I think I can see how there would be real satisfaction in doing the joinery by hand, but I'm less convinced that I would find all that thickness-planing "un trabajo feliz".
On 4/16/2014 12:08 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

Before I got a jointer, I had to flatten everything by hand. I kept wishing for a scrub plane, but just took one of my planes and cambered the blade heavily and moved the frog back... still a scrub would be nice. At times I had no problem , being able to move quickly.. Others... I was frustrated as all hell. I kept getting better though, but still ran into wood that was hard to understand... swirling grain where a growth must have been on a slice further out on the log... change in direction... Where it swirls is gets hard and gnarly.
I have flattened , but also thickness planed by hand with wide boards, that were too big to bandsaw....
I would still if I had to work wider boards by hand, and now that I Have a proper bench (solid) for sure. It can be satisfying, but it can be frustrating. When you are able to get it the way you want, after struggling, it's particularly satisfying, as you realize you climbed Mt Everest.
I am not sure I would rip long pieces by hand though... I just don't see the need. I have a beautiful rip saw, and use it for small work.. something that I would be afraid to do on the TS, or BS. I am going to restore it.. I had cleaned it up long ago, but after seeing some work that one LJ guy does, it might be worth it. I just didn't want to put that much effort into it. But it's a saw that should get passed down... Too bad the notches and finger reliefs are for a righty, I am a lefty.. but it's still pretty comfortable.
I mostly do Dovetails by hand, I have only done machined a couple of times... I like hand dovetailing, I just consider it a nice touch.. If I had a lot of draws, I might bring out the jig, but I always find that I get the precision I desire, and look from hand cut.
--
Jeff

On Wednesday, April 16, 2014 11:31:39 AM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

weat during the entire video. > > Geez. His pile of shavings is nicer than some of my work, .... Before I got a jointer, ....
Seems to me he's in his shop just relaxing, taking his time, doing precisio n work. He didn't learn his skills or develope that approach over night, e ither.
I'm rarely in a rush to finish any project and I often go in the shop just to hang out, maybe plan a project, plan to sharpen tools (usually on a rain y day), etc. I may do a simple project just to kill time, do some carving , have a beer, visit (if someone has come over) and the like. When doing small "relaxing" projects, I don't always use the power tools. Using hand tools is gratifying.... but I'm not anxious to rip with a hand saw, either.
Sonny
On 4/16/2014 9:23 PM, Sonny wrote:

Nice.
--
Jeff

On 4/16/2014 8:23 PM, Sonny wrote:

Thursday Throwback, a few hours early.
JOAT (Jack-Of-All-Trades), one of the denizens of the WREC a few years back, described this "shop thing" succinctly:
"My shop helps me relax, makes me feel better (more "up" I guess you would say), and helps ease the headache. It is enough sometimes just to know it is there, that it's mine. Sometimes I go out there for hours making something, sometimes I just piddle around, sometimes I do a little and then just sit for awhile, and sometimes all I do is just sit, listen to music, smell the sawdust, watch the birds and squirrels, and don't think about anything much at all."
Once again, thanks JOAT, that pretty well still describes it for me!
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 04/16/2014 08:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

AMEN
On 4/16/2014 11:04 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Yep..
--
Jeff