woodworking with hand tools

Page 1 of 4
If you have 31 minutes to watch someone do some woodworking with hand tools you might like this:
http://www.woodworksbb.es/
I don't think he drips a bead of sweat during the entire video.

Not bad at all!
On Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:53:38 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:

ls you might like this: http://www.woodworksbb.es/ I don't think he drips a bead of sweat during the entire video.
Long drawn out video, because of the slow-mo presentation. I kinna got bor ed watching it, but the project and work was nice.
Seems he used Trewax as the finish (on raw wood?), though I can't tell, for sure, which wax that is. After finish sanding, I've used Trewax on raw ER Cedar, 20-25 yrs ago, and this display cabinet still looks great, still sm ooth as a baby's bottom. I may have applied one other coat, in those years , but I don't recall for sure. Dusting the cabinet is a snap, as the dust wipes off, much better, than with my other non-waxed or other topcoated fur nitures.
At that time, applying a paste wax to raw wood was a new idea for me . I w as impressed as to how the wax, only, produced the "finish" results, so wel l.
Other paste waxes may do a similar job, as my experience with Trewax, but I have been impressed with this application and I've used Trewax for a few o ther small projects.... and for waxing my big iron tool's tops. I think Br iwax (or is it Breewax) is similar to Trewax.
One drawback, to applying paste wax to raw wood: It takes lots of elbow gr ease to polish the wood, i.e., to remove the dried wax surface film or crus t, from the wood, as per the instructions.
Also, I don't know if the wax has anything to do with it, but this cedar ca binet hasn't shown any signs of the resin leaching out, from the wood, as I 've had resin leaching out from pieces coated with a dedicated finish. I t hink the wax is not a sealant, so it allows the wood to "breathe"(?), hence the resin doesn't leach out.... this is speculation on my part.
I haven't heard of anyone using paste wax, only, as a finish on raw wood, s o seeing him do so, if that's what he did, was noteworthy, for me.
Sonny
On 4/15/2014 2:53 AM, Bill wrote:

Really Nice Bill...
A couple of comments... geez, couldn't he use a crappy chisel to clean the glue out????
And it looks like an ad for Lee Valley/Veritas.... mostly all Lee Valley stuff..
Very nice build, no burning on the cherry, since there was no machines....
Wax for a finish..... I guess no blotching that way either.
He is a very good craftsman.
Too bad it was Vimeo... mine kept freezing and I had to hit pause then continue... was this just me... or do others experience this.
--
Jeff

I have always had problems with vimeo. I think it is used to piss off people and computers. It seems to run better in chrome. My wife's computer won't run it at all. I can get it to work in chrome on her machine about half the time with chrome.
And among people we have sent videos to, about half of them can't run vimeo either. Why do people use us problematic formats?
On 4/15/2014 9:32 AM, Lee Michaels wrote:

I use chrome and I had problems.
--
Jeff

Lee Michaels wrote:

I didn't have any problems at all with it, but I expect the difference may be due to having a separate video card on my computer compared to one with a graphics processor which is built into the main processor (CPU). The latter may be fine for most purposes, but is lesser in comparison.
"woodchucker" wrote in message

I had no problem... I use Chrome...
"Bill" wrote in message

Interesting... nicely demonstrated the proficient application of conventional techniques.
I liked his thick steel straight edges for checking flatness.
I also liked his use of shooting boards for shooting the long edges. I often do that... something that occurred to me as being a reasonable technique after watching the carpenters at Colonial Williamsburg shoot flooring boards that were perhaps 20 feet long. I hadn't seen it done by anyone else since...
The dovetail layout technique was interesting... though I had to watch that section twice as I missed his spacing layout the first time. It was effective but complicated compared to my technique... I used to get confused when I drew a lot of lines... now I keep it real simple!
The wax finish was a nice touch. I dare say it is the oldest finish there is and I've used it on some utility (but not crude) items made from pine and fir.
The video was a nice diversion and I was amused to find that the sanding was the most offensive part of the whole process... to the demonstrator!
John

One more thing about the video, I like when no one talks..I get the picture perfectly clear. Too many of todays videos are blah blah blahhhh...
They like to hear themselves talk... I like to watch them work.
John, I agree about the dovetail layouts... it was a lot of layout work.
--
Jeff

Outstanding video. Often I find myself FF thru a video, especially one this long, but this was a joy to watch over coffee.
And I absolutely love the table. A clean lined utilitarian table. Where can I get one? ;-)

I was beginning to think him devoid of facial expression until the end when he smiled. A table to be proud of indeed. :-)
Thanks for sharing!

Great video and a true craftsman.
I use FF and have a very slow DSL and had no problems with the video.

Nice drop leaf table. Imagine what he could do with some power tools or machinery to handle some of the more mundane tasks.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

I caught you---too obvious. You're trolling.

??? It's only trolling if I was seeking some type of response. ~ I wasn't.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

You're kill-filed. Recommend others consider likewise.
On 4/16/2014 10:36 AM, Bill wrote:

WHY?
--
Jeff

woodchucker wrote:

http://www.urban75.com/Mag/troll.html
On 4/16/2014 10:00 AM, Bill wrote:

You just have not gotten to know him. He does not raise hell to be a PIA. He just likes to defend his position, like some on else I know. ;~0
On 4/16/2014 11:00 AM, Bill wrote:

I know what a troll is, what bothered you about his post.
--
Jeff