Woodworking Vise Recommendation

I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for recommendations.

I would goto leevalley.com, I have one from them and its great.......
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com
|I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for | recommendations.
My exact vise won't help since I bought it at Sears in August of 1972 ;-), but I do have a recommendation for a feature that I've found invaluable over the intervening 36 years: Quick release. A quarter-turn counter-clockwise and the vise is free to travel in or out to the approximate position I need. Also, for woodworking, I wouldn't accept anything that looked like a machinist's vise, you need wooden jaws and as large as you can afford. Norm

I'd agree with that. I bought one without quick release and I wish I'd done otherwise. Not having it isn't a disaster, but having it would definitely be more convenient.
Reply-to address is real John
John wrote:

I'll third that. I have this one, http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p1137&cat=1,41659,41661, and I'm happy with it, except I went cheap and didn't get the quick release. I've regretted it ever since.
Tanus

Yup, same one I have. Works fine, but the quick release would have been better. Reply-to address is real John

What kind of woodworking do you do? Cabinets, turnings, carving, etc.?
Do you have a decent bench? The best vise arrangements are really a component in a workbench system. Typical woodworking vises are either a front or tail/end style. Both mount on the underside of a workbench, so you need to know what kind of clearance is available for the mounting and the motion of the screws.
That said, I would start with a a front vise like this one - http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 7941&FamilyIDI39
Or a tail vise like this http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID A72&FamilyID077
Some features - wide jaw, with a large opening Quick release Fold-up dog Sturdy mounting on the underside off a bench

I am in the process of building a bench and after much research I ordered this(large version) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=49980&cat=1,41659 and these http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31134&cat=1,41659 from Lee Valley. They arrived yesterday and I can tell ya the vise is a behemoth. It's made by www.york.cz and they have been in business since 1921.
I started out to get the twin screw but couldn't justify the price. Plus the covers are extra.
Jim
blackemmons wrote:

I think you misread. The original twin-screw came with a plastic cover, the new one comes with an aluminum cover. The new cover is available as a separate item for people wanting to switch.
Chris
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 05:14:15 -0800 (PST), "tlc..."

Get a quick release, you'll be glad you did. I have a Record brand, no complaints.
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 13:14:15 +0000, tlc... wrote (in article

so - you are looking for a dvice?
:-)
Were you me, you'd have looked for the following dvice- Used. Record. q.r. Biggest you can find.... No regrets.
tlc... wrote:

I have two Record 52's on my bench. They are quick release. Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but there are knockoffs as indicated in other posts.
I used a Jorgensen quick-release vise in woodworking class. It was good, too, and if I buy another vise I'll buy Jorgensen. http://www.adjustableclamp.com/v-40000.htm
Unless I'm feeling rich, then I'll try to get a patternmaker's vise, a la http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID 8748&FamilyID516
Or an Emmert, or Tucker. http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rvises.html
: tlc... wrote: :> I am finally going to buy a real woodworking vise and am looking for :> recommendations.
: I have two Record 52's on my bench. They are quick release. : Unfortunately, the company went out of business a few years ago, but : there are knockoffs as indicated in other posts.
: I used a Jorgensen quick-release vise in woodworking class. It was : good, too, and if I buy another vise I'll buy Jorgensen. : http://www.adjustableclamp.com/v-40000.htm
Intresting. I had a Jorgensen, and liked it, but the quick-release I found a hassle sometimes -- the Record design seems easier to use.
Why do you prefer the Jorgensen?
    -- Andy BArss
Andrew Barss wrote:

When I got my vises, it was kind of like the Stihl/Husqvarna chainsaw choice, six of one, etc. At the time the Records were a bit cheaper, and there was this cool promotion that sent me a free speed clamp with my vise. That, along with free shipping, clinched the deal. Of course, their promotions didn't work, and now Record is out of business, I can't get any more speed clamps, and I would get Jorgensen again were I to get another vise.