woodworking tool

I'm looking at Foredom hand grinders for small delicate wood carving. The one with the drive cable and small handpiece. I have also seen others. I want a high quality long lasting unit.

Any advice on brand names? Features to get/stay away from?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thomas Bunetta

Go pneumatic if you can afford it, Those turbine-power jobs whisk the wood away rather than hack and bounce.

Reply to
George

Air powered grinders can suck even a 30 gallon tank dry in nothing flat. Be sure to have plenty of cfm. My 30 gallon sears unit gets hotter than hell when I run a die grinder. Every other air powered tool I've got (except for the 2 drills) use a small fraction of the volume of air needed for the grinder.

Dave

Reply to
David

David, I could be mistaken, but I believe George is referring to the high-speed (350k - 500k rpm) dental air grinders. They retail about $300 to $500 - gee, what's that, about $1/1000 rpm? These need about 1-2cfm at 45psi.

To name a couple:

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC