Woodworking suggestions for New England trip

Page 1 of 2
    I'm planning a trip to New England to go leaf peeping. I plan on hitting a few of the Shaker villages and who could go to Maine without stopping at Lie Nielson...     Anyone got suggestions on other good woodworking sites or tool museum type places in New England?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

On U.S. 1, the Maine state prison has a store where they sell the wood craft stuff the prisoners make. It's been several years since I was there but I was impressed by the quality of their work. I think it was just south of Lincoln, Maine.
Add pictures here
✖
Chuck wrote:

The prison store is in Thomaston. An interesting visit. Thomaston was also the site of the prison, since torn down, that was the model for the Shawshank Redemption.
The Owls Head Transportation Museum is terrific - planes, cars, motorcycles, stagecoaches, etc. - all in immaculate, running condition.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
"Jim Artherholt" wrote:

It was my understanding that the Mansfield reformatory located in Mansfield, Ohio is where the movie was actually shot just before it was torn down.
Back in the days when prisons like that were built stone walls, several feet thick, with walkways for the guards on top was the design standard.
I grew up about 30 miles from Mansfiled, and the site of those black stone walls made an impression on me as a 10 year old.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖
On Jul 14, 3:44 am, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

You could see about stopping by the offices of Taunton - the publishers of Fine Woodworking and Fine Homebuilding. They're in Newtown, CT. Not sure if they offer tours, but if you call I bet they'd let you take a peek at their testing and photography shops.
JP
Add pictures here
✖
Jay Pique wrote:

Old Sturbridge Village might be worth a look--it's "Intepretive history" like Willamsburg and may be a bit touristy for you, but they do have a working cooper shop and a sawmill using pre-1840 technology.
Also, if you get to Boston, the U.S.S. Constitution is worth seeing--200 years old and still a commissioned vessel of the United States Navy.
Add pictures here
✖

Where are you coming from and what route are you taking?
-Jim
Add pictures here
✖

I enjoyed seeing the Maine Maritime Museum and shipyard at Bath Maine. They have the tools and boats on display.
Mystic Seaport features wooden boat building as well as many other displays of interest.
The Shaker village at Canterbury N.H. was really a treat.
The Rhode Island School of Design in Providence has a major collection of 18th century furniture.
I've never seen it, but I understand that the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston has a major furniture collection.
The Peabody Museum in Salem Maine is worth a visit. A lot of the China trade furniture and artifacts are there.
Add pictures here
✖

The shipbuilding school in Newport, RI is also pretty cool to see.
-Jim
Add pictures here
✖
<snip> The shipbuilding school in Newport, RI is also pretty cool to see.
-Jim
All of the suggested places sound great. As a native New Englander I have been to a lot of them.
I am not when you are coming or how long you are here but if your trip coincides with one of the open houses at the Lowell Boat House in Amesbury, MA http://www.lowellsboatshop.com it may be worth a quick deviation off the highway.
Larry C
Add pictures here
✖
Hard to tell what route I will be taking... My wife has been tasked with planning the trip. That's why I am trying to get a few suggestions to "guide" her along... Right now it looks like we fly into Boston on Oct 4th and out on Oct 18th. She is leaning on heading straight out to the end of Maine and then looping back through the White Mtns in NH. Over to the edge on Vermont and down the west side to Mass. Definitely through Mystic and Newport before back to Logan. 14 nights and probably 15 motels!!! LOTS of driving. But like she says - "We're going to look at the leaves. You have to drive to them, they won't come to you."

✖

Yea, right . . . like my wife was tasked with planning the itinerary for our trip. She assigned the task herself. She did a great job though . . . I was along for the ride. :-)
It has nothing to do with woodworking, but the cog railway at Mount Washington in Vermont is an interesting stop.
We flew into Providence.
Add pictures here
✖
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Mount Washington is an interesting stop regardless, especially if you time it right on a foliage tour. But carry clothing for _anything_--highly variable weather at the top and when Mount Washington decides to hit an extreme, it doesn't believe in half measures.
Add pictures here
✖

Thinking back on our trip, my wife acquired the itineraries of some bus tours and pretty much followed that. It was a good trip. We flew into Providence and rented a car there. It was a convenient place to work out of.
Beware the cost of lodging in the Boston area though. I think the most expensive was at Bar Harbor in Maine.
Add pictures here
✖

Oh, yeah. My wife and I were driving by on a nice fall day. I said "Do you want to drive up?". She said "Sure".
When we got to the top, visibility was 50 feet, the wind was 50 mph, and the temperature was 40. We were impressed that the buildings on top were tied down with steel cables over the roofs.
-- Doug
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@classtech.com says...>

That was a nice day, then. More typical in the fall is 25ft, 100 mph, 30F and blowing snow. OTOH, I was up there once the week after labor day, and it was 68F, 100 miles, 10-15 mph, so you never know what you'll get.
--
John

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:07:26 GMT, John Santos

I look forward to trying to get to the top. It'll be Oct 10th when we get there. If it's too bad I'm not going to drive it just to say I did. Do want to take the cog railroad. What kind of weather can we expect on the cog around Oct 10th?
Add pictures here
✖

Between 75 and 25 and that can be within a couple of hours. http://www.thecog.com /
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

They won't let you try if the weather is too bad.
Also, you should be aware of the vehicle limits http://www.mountwashingtonautoroad.com/Page-23.html . This shouldn't be an issue for a rental but it's best to be sure.

Add pictures here
✖

Interesting list. The old Ford station wagon is allowed, but not a Hummer.
Add pictures here
✖