Woodworking stuff in Nova Scotia?

Hi all,

Traveling to Nova Scotia in late August (I'm from Ohio). Will be visiting Lee Valley in Halifax for sure, but wondering if there's other woodworking stuff of interest in the area. Will be traveling all around NS including Cape Breton Island, so anywhere in the area is of interest.

I also welcome non-WW sightseeing recommendations in that area.

TIA,

Paul Franklin snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com

(you know what to leave out)

Seen on a plaque on a coworker's desk: "I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them!"

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I was in Halifax and area last fall. Depending upon your interests and desires I would suggest the following (in no particular order)

1) Annapolis Valley - about 1.5 hours west of Halifax. In recent years a lot of the apple orchards have been dug up and vinyards planted. There is a burgeoning wine industry in the area that was a total surprise. 2) Lunenberg, a world heritage site and home of the Bluenose II 3) Digby - reportedly the best scallops in the world 4) Maritime museum in Halifax 5) HMCS Sackville - The Second World War convoy escort corvette has been restored as a floating naval museum and a memorial to the courage and sacrifice of all who served in Canada's navy 6) The Citadel 7) Pier 21 - Canada's equivalent of Ellis Island 8) Peggy's Cove and Swiss Air memorial
Reply to
Doug Brown

While in Halifax, check out the waterfront and wander over to The Lower Deck. If you can stay for a while in the evening, there's always a good East Coast band. AND, have a Beaver Tail on the waterfront. Get the one with maplen sugar on it. Also, visit Alexander Keith's brewery.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hmmn, beaver, tail, and beer...that will make the trip worthwhile! Oh, wait, I have one too many commas in there :-)

Thanks Doug and Rob for the suggestions and info. Gives me some good ideas.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Most style manuals suggest that you not use a comma before the 'and' in a list; thus your list should be 'beaver, tail and beer'...

There's a recreated 19th century village at Sherbrooke, which includes a sawmill and a woodturner shop.

Joe Makowiec

=EF=BF=BDWill be traveling

Paul

We spent a summer, in 1938 I think it was, camped with a travel trailer on the parade grounds of Fort Louisburg. My siblings and I had the run of the place. Did lots of neat things there and in the neighborhing area. One of the most vivid things I remember is watching them clean swordfish with a small shovel and then sell the fish to tourists and others. As a 5 year old I thought the fish were humongus.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Bob, if you have vivid memories from 1938, you've got even more of my respect than you had before!

I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday..lol

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Mac

For some reasons my long ago memory is good but where I just put my glasses down is a mystery. The first place I do check is my nose. But at 75 it is no biggie. The biggies right now are how to consolidate my errands so I just drive my PU 5 times a week to save gas. I went 39 miles today. 4 gallons at $4.00 and I am out $16.00. I could use the $16.00 for better things like some parts for my compressor, more tools. I am sure you get the picture.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Oh yeah.. I feel your pain..

We went to the States yesterday on a shopping trip... Calexico, El Centro and Yuma..

We saw unleaded at between $4 and $4.50 a gallon and were SO glad that we'd filled up before we crossed the border.. Folks down here are bitching about paying $2.25 for unleaded and $2 for diesel and get hit by major culture shock when they visit the States..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

They still pay the difference, except the gov't buries in in other forms of taxaction.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ok, I give up. What's the difference between beaver and tail?

Reply to
Tanus

Ask yourself if you'd rather have a piece of beaver or a piece of tail.

Reply to
Robatoy

Exactly my point!

Reply to
Tanus

That works for me, since I only pay US tax..

Of course, the price of gas includes the 10% that the Government adds to everything..

Between fuel and electricity, we're paying about $300 a month less than we were in California, back when gas was $3 a gallon... (which, IMO, is still too high)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Paul Franklin wrote: : Hi all,

: Traveling to Nova Scotia in late August (I'm from Ohio). Will be : visiting Lee Valley in Halifax for sure, but wondering if there's : other woodworking stuff of interest in the area. Will be traveling : all around NS including Cape Breton Island, so anywhere in the area is : of interest.

There's a really terrific woodturner in Nova Scotia -- his website is here:

think he and his gallery are up near Digby.

Your best bet is find some web sites of galleries --

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Thanks Andy! He does nice work, and not a bad web site too.

The book that the NS tourism group sent me has lots of arts and crafts listings; I'll be sifting through them before we head up looking for other gems.

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin