WoodWorking Shows - what deals were there?

Looks like the WW show is coming again to Denver in November. Can anyone, who went in another city, recall what the killer deals were?

Last year, I grabbed the DeWalt biscuit joiner for $99. A price that still is pretty good. Does Lie Nielsen do any dramatic discounting? Also looking to pick up a Forrest WWII if the price is right...

T'anks!

Reply to
patrick conroy

I just checked the Forrest site. They are offering the 40T wwII in thin or regular for $89

Reply to
max

LN does not do "deals" - ever. And at a show, were folks can actually hold (and fondle) most of their line and are primed for impulse buying they're not proned to discounting. Hell, I almost bought one of their new chisels - a quarter inch one - ONLY $50 US.

Forrest WWII go for $90 US, but they won't take your WWII blade that needs resharpening - you have to mail them back to them.

Trend had their Mortise Jig - with guide collars and 1/4" shank bits needed to use the jig for $279 including 8% sales tax, normally goes for around $350 plus tax for the package.

Locking swivel casters - the ones that lock the wheel AND the swivel - for about $25 US for a set of 4 - though that's for the 2" wheels version.

Bandsaw blade packages are usually a good deal at shows. Carter guides often have show prices.

There was a booth with everything you need to make your own "sand flea" - drum (3 or 4 diamters), shaft, bearings, pulley and plans etc. Price was about 25% of what the sand flea goes for.

There were fairly good package deals on TruGrip clamps as well as Bessys.

There's usually a deal on a CMT router bit they're featuring at the show.

Wear comfortable shoes, take a small backback to hold stuff you pick up cause plastic bags are a PITA after an hour or so, smuggle in your own drink of choice and a handful of Power Bars or the like since soft drinks are $2, a burger will run between $4 and $6 and small, and I mean small, fries go for $2.

But Varathane will have all the little samples of all their stains your little heart desires FOR FREE!

Enjoy.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Reply to
Jim Behning

Charlie:

I was at the show in Chicago, and IIRC (and I could be wrong here) L-N was giving either a 10% or 15% discount on their planes. Other tools, I'm not sure.

To the OP: deals...I dunno. I spent some of my hard-earned money for stuff that I wanted, and that was impulse buying, but I don't recall any super-duper sales--nothing that made me say "heck yeah, I'll buy this now since it's on sale..."

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer

I was just at the show in Minneapolis a few weeks ago. I spent more money on food than tools, and I didn't eat much, just a few snacks. A couple of days later I decided to buy a Leigh dovetail jig, so I emailed the company and asked if they would honor their show deal since they were going to ship them anyway. Their answer was no, so I haven't bought one yet. The good part of the show is actually seeing the items and sometimes watching them work, how they work, and asking questions. Some of the small inexpensive items are nice because it's cash and carry, and you don't pay shipping!

Reply to
ToolMiser

I was at the show in Syracuse, NY a little while back and LN was giving 10% off.

Reply to
Keith

10% off on the stuff they bring to the show, but regular price on the 'special order' items, like the 5/8ths mortise chisel I ordered. They said 4-6 weeks, but it was here today, when we got home, in ten days.

When I buy LN at Woodcraft, I usually wait for one of the 10% off opportunities, if I can.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I went to the WW show in portland and was able to pick up the demo dewalt 13" planer for $400 dollars. There were some great deals on the show demo tools.

Reply to
Bishop3882