Woodworking Show Discount for Delta 37-380 8" Jointer

The bug is starting to gnaw at me again to buy a big tool and I'm thinking 8" jointer this time. I'm intrigued by the Grizzly G0500 which appears to be a best buy at $875 direct from Grizzly (plus $75 for shipping).

There are a number of woodworking events this weekend in Charlotte, NC including a show at the Merchandise Mart, a smaller event at Blume Supply on South Blvd, and even a big sale at Klingspor's, also on South Blvd.

Blume has the Delta 37-380 in stock for $1095. There would be no shipping because I could just go get it. Their "show" begins on Friday and the salesman told me the jointer would be included but he didn't know what the discount would be. He said he won't know until the rep tells them what is authorized.

Does anybody have any advice? Has anyone bought one of these big jointers at one of these events? What kind of savings should I expect?

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

One of our local stores has an annual event. They offer 10% on most items, including power tools. I've not seen more than that. Don't expect the Delta rep to wheel and deal either. I asked for a minor change on something promoted at one of the sales and was turned down. I walked past him wheeling out my Jet DC instead.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Woodworkers supply has these Vendor Days (dunno what else to call it, couple times a year) as well. I purchased a unisaw, with mob base, got 10% off and was given the tenoning jig. I've been to a few of these "sales/shows" and it seems that all vendors give a 10% discount.

I've used both the Grizzly and the Delta, they are both fine machines.

Get the one you want!

message

Reply to
Nicky
10% maybe...as a long time tool dealer there is just not much margin to be made on a tablesaw. The dealer has hardly any thing to "play" with. I sold both Delta and Jet. I always admired Delta because they held firm on their prices and did not play games. If a tool manufacture begins to play games where does it stop? The promotion is what it is...nothing more nothing less! Mike
Reply to
aswr

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:cxlZd.28080$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

My wife gives me all kinds of grief over things like this. And she's right, of course. Two years later, I can't remember what I paid for a power tool, without looking it up.

But I know, for absolute certain, whether I like the way a tool performs, sets up, and is serviced.

1 - Tool quality, and suitibility to purpose 2 - Dealer service, pre- and post-sale 3 - price

That's the priority in MY calculus. YMMV. I have the great good fortune that $100 or two isn't going to change my life a great deal in the short or long run.

And I'm thinking there's a tool corollary to that old saying:

"Every person passing through these doors brings me joy. Some, by coming, and others, by leaving."

Patriarch not sad to see _some_ tools go...

Reply to
Patriarch

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

Snip

snip

Buy the one you want. The difference in a few bucks will wear off very fast - your desire or regret to use the tool will last much longer.

Take it from a deticated tool user. Dave

Teamcasa

I'm leaning towards the Delta. I've seen some stuff to suggest Grizzly has a few design flaws with the G0500... specifically, they say it's very difficult to align drive pulleys because there's no way to get a straight edge inside the housing. Plumb bobs are fine if your floor is level; mine sure as hell isn't.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to manhandle this beast into the garage.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN