woodworking show

Page 2 of 2
says...

Us great ones are finding you both insufferable.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Ah, well, to be honest I find myself to be pretty insufferable at this point. I do occasionally lose my mind. I have been around for far too long to engage in this sort of thing and seem to manage to find the "ignore" key easily enough in most cases, but for some reason this one got under my skin. C'est le vie.
PK
Paul Kierstead wrote:

By the way, that should be la not le.
You are a caution!
Homer writes:
> Now, if only someone would enlighten you as to the proper uses of the > semicolon.
According to the Bedford Handbook for Writers, fourth edition, "When related independent clauses appear in one sentence, they are ordinarily linked with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nore, for, so, yet). . . . If the clauses are closely related and the relation is clear without a conjunction, they may be linked with a semicolon instead".
>> I know [my character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button; that would show the world what a wonderful

The sentence above contains two independent clauses: "I know [my character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button" and "[clicking on the button] would show the world what a great person I am" I.e., that would show the world how great the quality of his character is. These two statments could have been joined by the coordinating conjunction 'and', but because they have a clear relationship to one another, the semicolon can be used instead.
It seems to me the author already has a working knowledge of semicolon usage and should concentrate on clicking various buttons as a means to character improvement.
-AD
-AD
Adam Diehl wrote:

Very good, Mr. Diehl.
I had wondered whether anyone would pick up on that.

Thank you! My next work will be an impartial and in-depth analysis of the character traits of people who click buttons versus those who push other peoples' buttons. Watch for it!
-AD
Homer wrote:

Draftsman : Picasso. Both convey an idea. The latter often conveyed more than the former. And you have to admit that Picasso was quite a character : ) We'll leave Dali (sorry, can't find the tilde) for another time.
Constructive criticism can be beneficial. Destructive criticism usually isn't intended to be beneficial. One is meant to encourage and one to discourage. I think the first part of your original reply was intended to benefit the original poster.
A good teacher presents information in a manner the student is best apt to understand it. And a little gentleness doesn't hurt either. Alan Watts was/is a master at it. Richard Feynman was pretty good at it too.
charlie b
Try explaining to a Buhdist why "born again Christian" is something to brag about.
Homer wrote:

Dear Homer
Many years ago, I thought as you do that grammar and language was very important and of course it is. But in the years since, I have met and worked with many people who have difficulties learning and using English.
However, I have never noticed that this in any way diminished their character. In fact I would estimate that because of their lot in life, their character was more robust than most. Perhaps this was because they had experienced the hardness of life first hand.
For your edification, I have included the following. The final quotation is instructive. Perhaps you had intended reputation instead?
Personally, I appreciate the original posting as it has the potential of enlightening some readers and pertains to the topic of woodworking. Regretfully, your response does not.
Rob
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)" Character Char"ac*ter, n. L., an instrument for marking, character, Gr. ?, fr. ? to make sharp, to cut into furrows, to engrave: cf. F. caract`ere. 1. A distinctive mark; a letter, figure, or symbol.
It were much to be wished that there were throughout the world but one sort of character for each letter to express it to the eye. --Holder.
2. Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the peculiar form of letters used by a particular person or people; as, an inscription in the Runic character.
You know the character to be your brother's? --Shak.
3. The peculiar quality, or the sum of qualities, by which a person or a thing is distinguished from others; the stamp impressed by nature, education, or habit; that which a person or thing really is; nature; disposition.
The character or that dominion. --Milton.
Know well each Ancient's proper character; His fable, subject, scope in every page; Religion, Country, genius of his Age. --Pope.
A man of . . . thoroughly subservient character. --Motley.
4. Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality; as, he has a great deal of character.
5. Moral quality; the principles and motives that control the life; as, a man of character; his character saves him from suspicion.
6. Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct with respect to a certain office or duty; as, in the miserable character of a slave; in his character as a magistrate; her character as a daughter.
7. The estimate, individual or general, put upon a person or thing; reputation; as, a man's character for truth and veracity; to give one a bad character.
This subterraneous passage is much mended since Seneca gave so bad a character of it. --Addison.
8. A written statement as to behavior, competency, etc., given to a servant. Colloq.
9. A unique or extraordinary individuality; a person characterized by peculiar or notable traits; a person who illustrates certain phases of character; as, Randolph was a character; Caesar is a great historical character.
10. One of the persons of a drama or novel.
Note: ``It would be well if character and reputation were used distinctively. In truth, character is what a person is; reputation is what he is supposed to be. Character is in himself, reputation is in the minds of others. Character is injured by temptations, and by wrongdoing; reputation by slanders, and libels. Character endures throughout defamation in every form, but perishes when there is a voluntary transgression; reputation may last through numerous transgressions, but be destroyed by a single, and even an unfounded, accusation or aspersion.'' --Abbott.
Rob Mitchell wrote:

Indianapolis
very
and
English.
life,
instead?
of
Defender of the downtrodden dullard, eh ?
Gus
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net writes:

There read dog cot there suns dear.
Lesson: Spell check bee four ewe proof reed.
Glenna
So uhhhh..... how was the wordworking shoe in Indy this weekend; Did ya'll like what there had to offer their?
(heheheheehe ;) --dave
wrote in message

Actually, I wsa there yesterday. I would say it was mediocre compare to previous shows. Jet and Delta didn't show up. Not many tutorials either. It seemed to be a big router bit fair. Nice demo by the guy from Legacy.