woodworking show

Theirs a Woodworkers show at the state fair grounds In Indianapolis now through sunday

Reply to
neal.don

"theirs" is a possessive.

"there's" is a contraction.

Please learn the difference.

Reply to
Homer

Maybe he meant "There is" but is dyslexic and in his excitement forgot the final 'e' and the space. ;^)

Reply to
JLarsson

Maybe he meant "there is", but is dyslexic and forgot the final 'e' and the space. ;^)

Reply to
JLarsson

Why should he learn the difference?

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Grammar and usage reflects character.

Carelessness in one usually means carelessness in other endeavors.

Reply to
Homer

Ah, I see! So you were asking him to learn proper grammer and spelling out of personal interest in his character! It is so very nice to see people in these newsgroups who take a personal intersest in improving others characters. It is very valiant of you to take the time.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

My very distinct pleasure.

By the way, your own spelling is atrocious.

Allow me to recommend Mozilla Thunderbird as a newsreader application. It contains a spell checker.

Reply to
Homer

Yes it is. I desperately wanted your help with my character as well, so I purposfully misspelled somethings in order to gain your wisdom. Thank you very much.

BTW, on Thunderbird. See the clever little '+' thing by the subject line? Click that to see the full header. Now, look down to the "User- Agent:" line and you too can know what reader I was using. Now see, you too can learn something! Just my little return for the great service you provide me and this group.

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Again, my pleasure.

A pity you haven't found the spell check icon as yet.

Feel free to call upon me whenever your character needs improvement.

Reply to
Homer

I am so glad you are deriving so much pleasure. My character needs a great deal of improvement. I know it would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button; that would show the world what a wonderful person I am! Wow, all through clicking on spell check! YOU THE MAN!!!

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

Draftsman : Picasso. Both convey an idea. The latter often conveyed more than the former. And you have to admit that Picasso was quite a character : ) We'll leave Dali (sorry, can't find the tilde) for another time.

Constructive criticism can be beneficial. Destructive criticism usually isn't intended to be beneficial. One is meant to encourage and one to discourage. I think the first part of your original reply was intended to benefit the original poster.

A good teacher presents information in a manner the student is best apt to understand it. And a little gentleness doesn't hurt either. Alan Watts was/is a master at it. Richard Feynman was pretty good at it too.

charlie b

Try explaining to a Buhdist why "born again Christian" is something to brag about.

Reply to
charlie b

Now, if only someone would enlighten you as to the proper uses of the semicolon. Alas, a project for another day.

Reply to
Homer

I rather doubt that usage of a semicolon has anything to do with enlightenment. Although perhaps you are right. Is there a button that will fix all my semicolons too and provide enlightment? Will that button also give me better character? That would be truly impressive!

I bow to your greatness and knowledge. You truly contribute to the world whereas I am just lacking in character as evidence by my sloppiness in grammer, punctuation and speling. It would be better had I not been born; I am blight upon the earth. However doth thou great ones ever suffer us, the great unwashed?

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

According to the Bedford Handbook for Writers, fourth edition, "When related independent clauses appear in one sentence, they are ordinarily linked with a comma and a coordinating conjunction (and, but, or, nore, for, so, yet). . . . If the clauses are closely related and the relation is clear without a conjunction, they may be linked with a semicolon instead".

The sentence above contains two independent clauses: "I know [my character] would be greatly improved if only I clicked on a button" and "[clicking on the button] would show the world what a great person I am" I.e., that would show the world how great the quality of his character is. These two statments could have been joined by the coordinating conjunction 'and', but because they have a clear relationship to one another, the semicolon can be used instead.

It seems to me the author already has a working knowledge of semicolon usage and should concentrate on clicking various buttons as a means to character improvement.

-AD

-AD

Reply to
Adam Diehl

Very good, Mr. Diehl.

I had wondered whether anyone would pick up on that.

Reply to
Homer

That is no light part of my penance.

Confidentially, you missed that naughty little spell check button again!

Reply to
Homer

Ah, well, to be honest I find myself to be pretty insufferable at this point. I do occasionally lose my mind. I have been around for far too long to engage in this sort of thing and seem to manage to find the "ignore" key easily enough in most cases, but for some reason this one got under my skin. C'est le vie.

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I can assure you it was not missed.