Woodworking Schools/Mentors

I am looking for a school or a mentor to teach me the basics of furniture making in the Cincinnati OH area. I have tried google and didn't really come up with anything. Does anyone have suggestions? Perhaps I am not searching for the correct terminology?
Any assistance is appreciated!

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice for that area, but you might check if there's a woodworking store like Rockler or Woodcraft in your area - they sometimes offer classes or seminars, and employees there would probably be a good source of info for what else is available in the area. You could also google or ask around about a woodworking club or guild in your area, and they might be able to point you towards classes, or let you observe demonstrations there. Failing all that, get some general woodworking books, read them, get some more specific books on subjects/techniques/tools you're interested in, read those, pick a simple project, and just do it. I think you'd find a lot of people here who started something like that (but maybe with less reading...) Good luck, Andy
Again I'm not local. But in our County the local community college has a fully equipped shop and teaches both basic woodworking and furniture design.
Andy wrote:

Really? Interesting, when I think of a college I don't think of woodworking. :) I will check with the local community colleges. Thanks for the heads up.

often quite economical for vocational training.

This is about it:
http://www.grantcareer.com/Carpentry/index.htm
Not really what I am looking ....
Looks like I might be on my own. :(

I checked the two local colleges that are realisticly accessable to me, no luck there :( (though they did have a course on Fish Mongering...)
Locutus wrote:

it does seem more like something you woudl get in a voctech school. In the Detroit area these are associated with the public school system. Maybe you can check for adult education or vocational education.
--
Thank you,

Aside from Rockler and woodcraft stores there are "The cincinatti woodworking group the url is: www.cincinnatiwoodworkingclub.org . There is also a woodturning group but I don't know the url for them.I am sure that threr are others you can find with a google search. Larry

Thanks Larry!

BTW, I have emailed Rockler and another local furniture store that says they offer classes, niether has responded yet... (both sites have no upcoming classes listed).

Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended up emailing the University of Cincinnati to see if they offered any woodworking programs (I couldn't find any on their online course catalog) and they replied back with this:
http://www.uc.edu/cas/woodtech.aspx
So I am going to check into that and if it will be a good fit for me.
thanks again!

It is interesting to me that this information was hidden someplace where it could not be easily found.
Goes to show what a little persistence will do. You kept looking until you found something that would meet your needs.
You did good.