Woodworking Schools/Mentors

I am looking for a school or a mentor to teach me the basics of furniture making in the Cincinnati OH area. I have tried google and didn't really come up with anything. Does anyone have suggestions? Perhaps I am not searching for the correct terminology?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Reply to
Locutus

making in the Cincinnati OH area.

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice for that area, but you might check if there's a woodworking store like Rockler or Woodcraft in your area - they sometimes offer classes or seminars, and employees there would probably be a good source of info for what else is available in the area. You could also google or ask around about a woodworking club or guild in your area, and they might be able to point you towards classes, or let you observe demonstrations there. Failing all that, get some general woodworking books, read them, get some more specific books on subjects/techniques/tools you're interested in, read those, pick a simple project, and just do it. I think you'd find a lot of people here who started something like that (but maybe with less reading...) Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

making in the Cincinnati OH area.

Reply to
Howard

Really? Interesting, when I think of a college I don't think of woodworking. :) I will check with the local community colleges. Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to
Locutus

I checked the two local colleges that are realisticly accessable to me, no luck there :( (though they did have a course on Fish Mongering...)

Reply to
Locutus

Some states also have tax supported vocational schools as well. These are often quite economical for vocational training.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

This is about it:

really what I am looking ....

Looks like I might be on my own. :(

Reply to
Locutus

it does seem more like something you woudl get in a voctech school. In the Detroit area these are associated with the public school system. Maybe you can check for adult education or vocational education.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Aside from Rockler and woodcraft stores there are "The cincinatti woodworking group the url is:

. There is also a woodturning group but I don't know the url for them.I am sure that threr are others you can find with a google search. Larry

Reply to
larry

Reply to
Locutus

BTW, I have emailed Rockler and another local furniture store that says they offer classes, niether has responded yet... (both sites have no upcoming classes listed).

Reply to
Locutus

Thanks everyone for the advice, I ended up emailing the University of Cincinnati to see if they offered any woodworking programs (I couldn't find any on their online course catalog) and they replied back with this:

I am going to check into that and if it will be a good fit for me.

thanks again!

Reply to
Locutus

"Locutus" wrote

It is interesting to me that this information was hidden someplace where it could not be easily found.

Goes to show what a little persistence will do. You kept looking until you found something that would meet your needs.

You did good.

Reply to
Lee Michaels