woodworking schools

Anybody been to either Marc Adams or American Sycamore...comments please. Are there similar schools that offer 1 week courses on the east coast? thanks
http://www.thewoodworkingcatalog.com/wschools.html <<<<index
Bob S.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anybody been to either Marc Adams or American Sycamore...comments please.&nbsp;&nbsp; Are there similar schools that offer 1 week courses on the east coast?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>thanks</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Try the John C. Campbell Folk School at Brasstown, NC only if you like relaxed folks, good food, no pressure, no TV, no phone, good conversation, great learning experience, etc, etc! May not be "east coast" enough for ya. GCS
If western NC is eastern enough, I wold second this recommendation. My wife and I did a weekend course there this past year and are in the process of deciding which week long classes we want this year. I did the shaker box class and would like to do one of the chair classes but they are hard to get into.
BRuce
RESPITE95 wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Check out www.heartwoodschool.com. They mostly concentrate on timber framing and housebuilding, but give some week-long basic woodworking and furniture making courses, taught by a local craftsman.
I took their furniture making course a few years back. We made the traditional first furniture project; a taper-leg shaker table in maple. Registration was limited to 6 people. Cost was about $500 for the week.
Techniques were a mix of machine and handwork. We started with a rough maple slab, layed out parts to waste as little material as possible, milled the lumber with jointer and planer, and used radial arm saw, table saw, bandsaw, and miter saw to cut the parts. Mortises and dovetails were hand cut. We used chisels and handplanes and hand saws. We even learned how to sharpen a chisel. The top was a glued-up panel with pinned breadboard ends. In short, we touched on many of the major skills in making furniture.
Adams or American Sycamore...comments please.&nbsp;&nbsp; Are there similar schools that offer 1 week courses on the east coast?<BR>thanks</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The Center for Furniture Craftmanship in Maine is great place.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point - Washington</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
------=
I would have to agree with Bob. If you can swing additional time try enrolling in a wooden boat building course as well. There's nothing more fun than tossing out your square and building a wooden boat.

challenges and tight tolerances.
Bob McBreen - Yarrow Point Washington
terry boivin responds:

Requires astounding skill in small boats and even more in larger boats. Woodenbot Schools in Brooklin, ME is one of the best in the U.S. www.woodenboat.com will take you to Woodenboat magazine with a link to the schools. Great place, wonderful site, fantastic people.
I've watched the courses and read the magazine, but have no real connection with the company--my kid sister used to work for them, but she died some years ago: part of my great feeling for Woodenboat is the way the company and the people treated Donna while she was going through her cancer experience.
Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html
I haven't been to Marc Adams' school but our local woodworker's guild has had Marc come down twice to do one-day seminars. Both were absolutely fantastic. Several people from other guilds had been to his classes and highly recommended them. I really don't think you'd be disappointed. He has a very high quality staff with a lot of big names. You may have trouble getting in though. They're booked within a week or two of the class announcements.
Kevin
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Anybody been to either Marc Adams or American Sycamore...comments please.&nbsp;&nbsp; Are there similar schools that offer 1 week courses on the east coast?</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>thanks</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I have atended three weekend sessions at American Sycamore Woodworking Retreat and found each one special. Great facilities, Wonderful people, and fantastic learning experiences. I highly recommend you give them a try.
Wally Grant
__________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
Please don't send ATTACHED FILES to the list!

I haven't been to those places but I heartily recommend Ernie Conover's workshops in both lathe work and hand and machine tool projects. http://www.conoverworkshops.com
--
Cheers,
Howard