Woodworking Plans

Can anyone tell me a good source, online or not, of schematic plans for woodworking. I would like a source of dimensions, materials, etc. Thanks very much for your time and effort.....

Thu, Dec 21, 2006, 5:40pm (herself) doth query: Can anyone tell me a good source, online or not, of schematic plans for woodworking. I would like a source of dimensions, materials, etc. Thanks very much for your time and effort.....
Google. Your local library.
What do you mean by schematic plan?
I get dimensions with my tape measure, buy materials at the lumber place, and etc I get wherever I can find it.
JOAT Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. - Eric Hoffer
herself (in snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com) said:
| Can anyone tell me a good source, online or not, of schematic plans | for woodworking. I would like a source of dimensions, materials, | etc. Thanks very much for your time and effort.....
This is a good place to get specific information - otherwise your local lumber/hardware emporiums may be able to help.
You can search for plans for specific projects on the Google search engine (at http://www.google.com ) and, if you're willing to persevere, you can generally find a free plan for most projects. Keep in mind that some plans are better than others.
http://store.woodstore.net / http://www.plansnowinprint.com/index.html http://www.rd.com/americanwoodworker/archive.do?siteId "22&categoryIdp04 http://www.woodsmith.com/plans /

herself:

Well, there are woodworking books, magazines, websites, etc.
Perhaps if you would be more specific as to what you need, many of us will try to help.
MJ Wallace
They're not free but I've used The New Yankee Workshop. Click on http://www.newyankee.com/index.shtml and then click on project plans..
herself wrote:

I am not the one to ask, but I recommend staring with learning all th ebasics, then you will know not only plans are the way they are, but how to plan something yourself. I think you will be missing out any other way. I searched for a series of books to cover a lot of ground and I found it. Its about 42 or so books, each about 120 pages , 5000 total, but large text, lots of pics, diagrams, tips, plans, etc. It is complete with useful info and there is a topic for everything. You can whip through a book in no time, but no time is wasted. You will understand why the grain is that way, the types of joints, whether glue sticks to a finely sanded wood surface as well as any other...Not only did I find the series, but the whole thing is at my library, or 125 of them, where I can order, pick up, drop off, renew to/from anywhere, online.
Nick Engler. http://hip.tpl.toronto.on.ca/ipac20/ipac.jsp?session 6G74921Y8F6.26441&profile=rs&uri=link00003~!S534613~!1100021~!1100093&aspect=subtab25&menu=search&ri=8&source=~!rs&term=Engler%2C+Nick&index#focus
Some are in the series, some are not. They are blue, hard or soft cover. 'The Workshop Companion', ' Techniques For Better Woodworking' is on the cover of the books in the series. Many titles in the series begin with 'Using' or 'Making', such as 'Making Tables and Chairs'.
A book in the series looks like these ones a the top: http://www.bestwebbuys.com/Nick_Engler-author.html?isrc=Google-b-compare-author
Before I went to the library I knew about it and bought one on a table at Lee Valley.
I know the importance of good plans, and insist on immaculate dimensions. I also know AutoCAD inside and out, and it makes this faster and better than you can imagine. And I can do all my cut lists, interpolate dims, etc. faster than a pencil and calculator. A pencil is your friend.
-
I am wondering if Mr. Engler is in
-
Good point about knowing about woodworking first....but I don't know why you replied to me and not to "herself." Also, there's plenty of good books out thtere in addition to Nick Engler.....
bent wrote:

[snip]
http://www.woodworking.wizkids.co.uk/Plans%20Alphabetical.html
Plans are listed alphabetically.
hmm
-
my posts never go where I want. I have no idea if the OP has momumental skills, just thought that if tending to the printed side of things. Anywasys choosing a series relieves me from picking and choosing topics, you get a little bit of everything in 5000 pages. As it turns out, they are all good pages, not for show
-