Woodworking newsletter editors out there?

Just accepted a post as our club's newsletter editor. I've done others before and know the problem in getting any kind of content to fill the pages. I would like our newsletter to be informative and broadening beyond our county (if possible).

I had a half of a thought that I would develop some of my own stories. Interviews with local companies selling woodworking products or services (schools, etc.) I'd be interesting in sharing these with other editors, IF, I could get the same in return.

An example, I was thinking of approaching the owner of a Japanese woodworking tool store nearby and doing a 30 minute interview. If you had a similar story, I'd swap you. They don't have to be magazine quality, but a least they would help to "round out" the newsletters when there is little else to put in.

I am also developing Sudoku like puzzles but using words (i.e. bench tops) versus numbers to solve the puzzle. I'd share those as well.

I wouldn't mind be contacted off-post here, but interested in hearing from other editors (and readers of such newsletters) as to your thoughts.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Hi MJ,

As I was reading your post, I thought of something that might or might not be labour intensive, but could be a trove of information for you.

I'm a member of both this forum and rec.crafts.woodturning, and I'd guess that on average, about once a week in each forum there's a "story". It could be related to safey (kickback, lost fingers, etc), technique, machinery, or just meandering thoughts.

As I said, compiling a story out of the diversions and digressions from a USENET thread can be labour intensive, but could also be an endless source of "filler". Depending on the topic, it could even be a lead.

Food for thought....

Reply to
Tanus