Also see www.owwm.org
Mike in Ohio
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

On 2010-01-25 01:05:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com said:

When RoadRunner stranded me, they provided newsgroup access through another provider, newshosting. Check with your local RR office -- see if you have the same access. The catch here is that you must access this provider from your home IP address -- tough luck for the road warriors.
Yeah, RoadRunner kinda sucks, but so do most of these de facto monopolies. Anyboody using AT&T's U-verse? That's my only other realistic option, but the sales people had no clue what "usenet" was.
On 1/25/2010 5:15 PM, Steve wrote:

At one time u-Verse customers were indeed allowed access SBCGlobal's nntp servers, although I understand the retention time was so short as to be not worth the effort.
Don't know if they still allow access, or if anyone at u-verse can even spell nntp these days, but you may be able to ask here:
http://utalk.att.com/utalk /
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

ATT stopped carrying newsgroups this past summer.
SBC dropped news groups a year or two ago.
Mike in Ohio
Swingman wrote:

Acutally I was using SBC news groups till March last year. Perhaps that was in your area.
Steve wrote:

Some places, sure, but, given enough time, all the broadband services will eventually converge on some national standard of, say, 50Mbps.
We have Comcast. Originally, the service was touted as (usually) 1.5Mbps down. I just ran a speed test and the thing is clocking at 29.8Mbps! Comcast just keeps upping the speed without fanfare.
We also have AT&T DSL (as a backup) and use it for our VoIP phones (3). It's not so hot for anything else inasmuch as its ~768Kbps.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com scrawled the following:

I remember you, Jeff. I just came back after a hiatus, too. Are you back to harass the locals like I am? Great!

What, you don't like maturity?

I might stop by, but the Wreck is the place for me. I still love Usenet, despite the asshole trolls and the idiots who respond to them daily. I filter maybe 65% of the bloody messages, but you can't geet the diversity of opinion or breadth of wisdom on a local board that you can here.

http://fwd4.me/Cme Love it! Diversity Project at school...<giggle>
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 00:05:51 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Already there are hundreds of woodworking message boards. A lot of folks dropped off after ISPs took down their Usenet servers. This happened to me, a 20-year AT&T customer. Rec.woodworking is still very active, the most active newsgroup I read.
If your ISP doesnot support Usenet, you can still read/post using the free server
news.eternal-September.org
No sign-up fee, no billings, no nags, completely free. Of course, it does not support binaries but in this case, that can be a good thing in keeping performace high for something that is free. The AT&T servers worked 99% of the time. The Eternal-September server works 97% of the time.