Woodworking Message Board

Page 2 of 3
Well, thanks for the feedback. Nevermind, I guess. I appreciate all of you taking the time to offer an opinion.
On 1/25/2010 6:10 AM Jeff P. spake thus:

Well, thanks for the offer (really), but you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

- a Usenet "apology"

Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free.

Google Groups is free.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.woodworking/topics

Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free.
Do you have a free ISP? After that major expense or the hassle of going to a free ISP location, a very small fee of $3 per month for "the expensive" news server service is all you need to remain here. Many news servers are way way less expensive than $3 per month.
On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 08:21:49 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

If you're cheap, Giganews is $3 to sign up and free for use. Slow as hell, hard to get on during whatever happens to be the daily rush hour, but accessible otherwise.
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado

Can you point me to the free after sign up information? I have been using Giganews for several months now and pay $3 monthly. And I have not noticed any thing slow...
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 07:57:18 -0600, the infamous "Leon"

Oops, sorry. I meant to say TERAnews, not GIGA. I haven't used it for awhile. I've been using Forte's APN at $2.95/mo for years.
--
"Some of us are wondering if we have created a monster."
Kevin Vranes, climate scientist, University of Colorado
On 1/26/2010 12:02 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Been using Giganews for six years and have always been more than happy with the service (also was a sysadmin for two nnttp servers in a previous life, so appreciate the nuances of same and the way they do their business.).
I do point Thunderbird to an ip address instead of "news.giganews.com", so I don't have to deal with DNS issues, which some ISP's (like my u-Verse home connection) seem to be having difficulty with lately. Might want to try that and see if it helps.
In this case: 216.196.97.131 ...( which you may not see if you do an nslookup since they do round robin).
Danger, of course, is if they change ip addresses in their zone file you can't connect. So far that has never happened, but if so, simply go back to the server name.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I've had Giganews for years now. I haven't had any of the problems you speak of.
Jeff P. wrote: ...

Several no-cost news servers out there--
news.aioe.org news.eternal-september.org
are two...I've been using the eternal-september site for a while now. Other than no abpw and a little short on retention no complaints.

For many of us, Usenet access is a one-time cost. Some Usenet providers charge by the amount downloaded, so after a few years of reading a text group there's barely a dent made in the amount purchased. The $25 I paid for Astraweb was cheaper than a magazine subscription.
There's free providers out there too, but I haven't had much luck with them. YMMV.
Puckdropper
"Jeff P." wrote: Hi Lew, I guess because the wheel, in this case, isn't free! Newsgroup services cost money. Most message boards are free. ------------------------------------------ Provided by my ISP so cost is included.
Granted, Astraweb was a onetime $25 fee for a lifetime access to cover binaries.
Lew

Sorry Jeff. I hate web based discussion forums. Haven't seen one yet that makes it easy to follow threads or offers killfiles.
I'll stay with usenet.
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Your fix is simple: Dump Verizon.
There is no requirement that the company that provides the physical wire also be your ISP.
In our case, the wire belongs to Comcast and our ISP is Earthlink. Earthlink provides Giganews at no additional cost.

Are you pleased with Earthlink service? I had them years ago on dialup, and the service was terrible. Giganews as their usenet feed would be great, so maybe it is time to look at changing ISP's again. My current Comcast ISP high speed rate is $45 plus I pay $10/month to Easynews for 25gigs/month of Usenet, a lot of which I never use. I've got over 500 gigs banked. Comcast terminates service if you use over 250 gigs in a month.
"Roy" wrote:

---------------------------------- SFWIW:
Like you I had E/L on dial-up for years and saw service deteriorate dramatically.
Switched to Verizon on line package which also includes unlimited phone (local & LD) a couple of years ago and other than loss of binaries which Astraweb replaced, have been quite happy.
When needed, online service has been prompt and has resolved any problems quickly.
My package does not include cell or TV service.
YMMV
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Verizon only dumped the binaries in your area? In New York about a year ago the decided to carry only the "Big 8" news groups. A few months ago Verizon decided to dump news groups altogether.
I signed up for Astraweb when they dumped all newsgroups.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
"Nova" wrote:

------------------------------ It's been so long since I installed Astraweb, forgot that I use it for ALL Usenet groups.
Sorry for any confusion; however, comments about Verizon service still stand.
Lew

Same setup I have.