woodworking mags

Page 2 of 2
You definitely want to keep FWW. I like Wood more and more every issue. Then I'd say Woodsmith and Shopnotes.
BTW: Whenever SWMBO complains about the number of magazines (I have it bad, started importing them from Canuckistan recently), I remind her how I don't smoke or gamble.
Joe

FWW and Woodwork are my favorites for inspiring me to greater heights of craftsmanship and artistry.
Woodsmith and Shopnotes are excellent for showing in great detail how to build practical projects I can complete in a reasonable amount of shop time. They are also great for handing to one of my sons, to indicate what's involved in a project that, to them, looks simple when I do it.
Woodworkers Journal, American Woodworker and WOOD Magazine don't do much for me. YMMV.
I haven't started turning yet, so I cannot commment on that avenue.
None of the magazines has been able to get me through the challenges of complex finishing yet, but the shellac mavens here on the Wreck have helped me postpone many of those 'growth experiences' for a while. And the price is right, mostly.
Popular Mechanics is a fine choice, if you're so inclined. Particularly for someone with wide ranging experiences and tastes. But I don't do much, if any, metal.
Here's to hot meals that you don't have to cook yourself. Try to keep her happy!
Patriarch

OK, I'm confused. You get 6 magazines by subscription and you are asking us which ones are the best. Can't you tell that by reading them when they arrive in your mailbox? I mean, you're already gettin' 'em - which ones do you like best?
Dave Hall
Yepper, six subs plus another couple each month at the book store. At some point ive saved about every possible 'project plan' known to man-kind, so im thinking why im i buying advertising. I was just curious about what some other woodworkers read on a monthly basis. And from the response, about the same as me. My personal fav is woodworkers journal, because of the finishing hotline column by Michael Dresdner. Ive had some pretty picky customers looking for "special effects" in their picture frame finishes, and ive refered to his writings quite often.
Whats your fav dave?... davis woodshop

Well, I don't get 6 of 'em :), but I do currently get Wood and Workbench. I kinda like Wood as a middle of the road mag. I don't believe I have ever read Worker's Journal and may check it out. Fine Wood Working looks pretty, but I am just a hacker and not intending to do things like they present any time soon ;)
However, I have a pie safe (from one of Norm's books) in my family room that is full of either woodworking books or notebooks full of plans, jigs and tips printed from the internet. My wife has commented more than once that if having or reading printed material was an indication of ones woodworking skills and abilities, our whole house should be full of fine funiture and cabinetry ;)Heck the finishing books and printouts alone would make you think I must have advanced far beyond those cans of poly and pre-mixed shellac sitting out in the gara....er shop.
Dave Hall
wrote

You may find it worthwhile to go to the web site listed below. www.discountmagazines.com They have a large number of magazines at discount prices. Many magazines such as Popular Science can be obtained for $5.95 per year. FWW is available for $26 per year. Wood is available for $18 per year.
I subscribed to FWW when it started publishing and have carefully filed each copy. Now I can go back a pick out a half dozen old issues and they are as good as reading new magazines.
Dick