woodworking mags

Page 1 of 2
A recent audit by the LOML has discovered that over the past several years my subscriptions to woodworking mags has increased to a half dozen or so. So in the intrest of eating dinner (cooked) every nite, i shall uphold her wishes, and cut back. Whats a couple of the best woodworking mags month-in/month out??
-- DavisWoodShop
Fine Woodworking is the one I look forward to the most.
sawdust wrote:

I also look forward to my Fine Woodworking....
However, there's a second I like that hasn't been metioned ... probably because it's new and only three issues have been published: American Router -- http://www.americanrouter.com /

Woodworkers Journal Woodsmith

I let all of my subsciptions end with the exception of Fine Woodworking. It was the only one that I consistently learn things from when I read it.
Frank
I stop in at the book store and look through the mags to see which ones I will buy that month.
: A recent audit by the LOML has discovered that over the past several years : my : subscriptions to woodworking mags has increased to a half dozen or so. : So in the intrest of eating dinner (cooked) every nite, i shall uphold her : wishes, and cut : back. : Whats a couple of the best woodworking mags month-in/month out?? : : -- : DavisWoodShop : :

Ive done much of this also. Prolly best to let almost all the subscriptions go and sift thru the crop of mags at Wally-world....Heck, they already get most of my pay check anyway!
Wed, May 5, 2004, 1:44pm (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (sawdust) asks: <snip> Whats a couple of the best woodworking mags month-in/month out?? The only one I like every single month is - Popular Mechanics. Apparently they've been posting woodworking plans for about 102 years.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret
leave it to you to suggest PM as the best woodworking mag...
dave
J T wrote:

Wed, May 5, 2004, 11:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) burbled: leave it to you to suggest PM as the best woodworking mag...
I have been mis-quoted. Again. I did NOT say THE best. What I said was: "The only one I like every single month is - Popular Mechanics."
That "I" like, every month. There IS a difference.
Possibly you have never perused a copy.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret
are you kiddin?? I used to get a subscription to PM along with PS.
dave
J T wrote:

Thu, May 6, 2004, 3:07pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (BayAreaDave) burbles: are you kiddin?? I used to get a subscription to PM along with PS.
And, combined them, to come up with PMS? That could explain a lot.
JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. - Phil Pastoret
I just purchased and received my first DVD edition of woodworkingathome on DVD and I gotta say I really enjoyed it. I think they are on to something !!
Rich

I like "WOOD" magazine.....been getting it for awhile now......

Ditto...
George Berlinger wrote:

If you can find them, there are a couple of UK woodworking/furniture mags that I like better than Fine Woodworking.
--
McQualude

Which ones ? What do you like about them ?
(To declare a commercial interest here, I appear to be working as webmaster for the new site of http://www.goodwoodworking.co.uk )
On 07-05-2004 12:02, in article snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, "Andy Dingley"

Finally there's a website of GGW! Now the content online or dvd and pay per article or issue :-)
kees (grnholz)
snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy Dingley) said:

I flipped through my stack at the house and only found one, Furniture and Cabinetmaking. I have others but they are at my shop and I don't remember the titles off-hand. UK mags are only available in one local book store that happens to be in a very busy mall, so I only go there about once a year.
I like the UK mags because they feature a level of craftsmanship not seen in the US mags except in Woodwork and Fine Woodworking. The UK mags also feature a variety of furniture styles, the US mags, except for Woodwork, are almost always Shaker & Mission.
Woodwork is my favorite US mag because it focuses on the craftsman as much as the craft. I find that Fine Woodworking is formulaic just like Wood, Journal and the others.

Congrats!
--
McQualude

snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com says...

Liked Good Wookworking as well as New Woodworking. Like the metric measurements as opposed to that other archaic system. The Woodworker and Traditional Woodworking also had some good articles.
--

Phillip Hansen
Skil-Phil Solutions