woodworking magazines?

Anyone have any advise or opinions on what magazines an aspiring woodworker such as myself should invest in? are ther any magazines, or articles in particular that have made a lasting impression on you?

Reply to
js

Grandpa

Subscribe to Woodsmith & Shopnotes for 1-2 years (I think the 2 years isn't much more than 1). You won't need more than that because you'll start seeing a lot of repeats. And I got bored with the plans, they're kinda plain -- though they're easy to follow and very detailed, I did like that.

If you think you'd like to start designing your own stuff or get into mortise/tenon different finishes, etc then I definitely suggest Fine Woodworking. Instead of being stuffed with various project plans it covers all the basic (and complex as you get better) building blocks so that you know how to approach a project from start to finish on your own. I LOVE this magazine.

I've read Wood a couple of times and it's pretty decent too -- kind of between woodsmith and FWW was my impression.

Also, go to your local library and read through whatever books you can get your hands on. Plus (also at your library) there are 3 videos by Frank Klausz that are phenomenal as well. Wish I had watched those prior to some of my first projects, they would have been so much easier.

Other than that, just practice. Sounds corny and I hated hearing that when I first started out, but now that I look back, some of my best learning came from the mistakes I made (and still make ;)

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

If you are just getting started, I'd recommend Woodsmith and Shopnotes. (Woodsmith if you want to build furniture, Shopnotes if you are more interested in shop projects).

I subscribed for many years and the projects are clear, well described and easily modified as you get more confidence.

Once you feel like you know what you are doing, I like Fine Woodworking and Workbench. Fine Woodworking assumes you know what you are doing, Workbench is in the middle (more details, but not step by step).

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon Bork

Since you used the term "invest", the one that comes to mind is Fine Woodworking, which has a decent resale value on EBay.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

I subscribe to both Fine Woodworking and Wood. Both are so good I have not tried others. I have been a happy amateur for about 25 years. When I was first getting started Wood was far better. Now that I have gotten somewhat (only somewhat) more advanced, they are about equal. Too much artsy-fartsy stuff in FWW. I like the tool comparisons in Wood. In other words, spend like a wild man and get both.

Bob Moody

Reply to
Bob Moody

Woodsmith gives a lot of detailed information useful to a beginner and intermediate wood worker and it was the major source of information for me.

I particularly like the fact that they usually teach you joinery as opposed to using dowels and hardware. A great magazine for good, basic information!

Ron

Reply to
Ron