Woodworking Magazine is it worth looking at?

Anyone pick-up a copy of this one yet?

be interested in hearing what you think of it. Scott

Reply to
vmtw

snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The small portion of the article on grain orientation in selecting leg stock for the end table was worth the price of admission alone.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

No, but just ordered it. Thanks for the headsup. The staff looks capable. Interesting concept, no subscriptions, no advertising. I guess they just email you when the next issue is available.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in news:6znXc.18$ snipped-for-privacy@cyclops.nntpserver.com:

In Issue 2, there is an invitation to become a charter subscriber. Based on what I've seen so far, it's likely worth the money.

What to prune from the subscription list is more problematic....

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

|Anyone pick-up a copy of this one yet? |

|Would be interested in hearing what you think of it.

What *really* interested me was that they say they have letters and comments from readers in the *first* issue.

How they do that?

Reply to
Wes Stewart

prerelease issues? alpha and beta testers?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I figured the borrowed from Popular Woodworking.

--

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Would be interested in hearing what you think of it.

Well, I've picked up several times now, it's ok. It's not a full magazine like Pop Woodworking (who by the way puts it out) or Fine Woodworking. It usually covers one project in depth and teaches around that. There are no ads, hence the "thinness" of the magazine, but I think the projects are recycled from Pop. Woodworking, but wouldn't swear by it. What they cover is good stuff, hence I keep buying it.

I'd say you could stop by your local vendor (bookstore, newstand_ and peruse the whole thing in a less then a minute and make up your mind.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
MJ Wallace

Had same question about premier issue of American Router...

Reply to
patrick conroy

|> What *really* interested me was that they say they have letters and |> comments from readers in the *first* issue. |>

| |Had same question about premier issue of American Router...

Similar to the first annual........

Reply to
Wes Stewart

It's the same publisher and staff as Popular Woodworking so I don't suppose it's too hard to lean over the mail bag and pluck out one or three.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

And it may get even more so. Woodcraft Magazine is due to debut around Christmastime.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

The editors will usually visit places like this or Wood Central and solicit them.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

"Lee Gordon" wrote in news:g_OdnTWnfpYFI7PcRVn- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

So what do they think will be their strategic differentiation?

BTW, I got a subscription offer from Woodworker's Journal in today's mail. They included those free return mailing labels in the offer, as a sort of an inducement to order.

The first line of the address, in place of my name, was 000427098.

Patriarch, feeling like a number....

Reply to
patriarch

patriarch wrote in news:Xns9551E2C56F752gmadsencomcastnet@63.240.76.16:

At least it wasn't 'THX 1138'.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

It's not _really_ all that hard to understand.

The Premier issue comes out only after they've gotten high Marx on the Chairman and General Secretary issues. Preliminary trial-balloons are floated under the Minister and Politburo names.

And that's the Pravda! Nothing but the Pravda.

And you wondered why the introduction of new magazines seems to be so sickle-ic.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I just caught a wiff (or is it whiff?) of that today. Shill comes to mind immediately though that's based on half a century (OK, almost) of seeing this sort of thing and having it always come true.

UA100, who does think it can't be as bad as Woodworking For Women, now that is a waste of good pulp...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Reply to
nospambob

nospambob responds:

Been here for a couple of decades now, but it's only been allowed to be obvious for a couple of years.

Big Brother is watching.

Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Out of curiosity, I bought one yesterday: a Woodwooking magazine, that is. I think it's competive with Fine Woodworking. I have mixed feelings about advertisements. I actually like some advertisements but I don't like too many. I often read the Fine Woodworking classifieds.

I liked the article on sharpening chisels. It says the same things you get elsewhere but was written very consisely....

I thought the article reviewing chisels was incomplete. Why weren't some of the high end chisels reviewed (Barr, Japanese varieties, or the new Lie-Nielson's)? I wasn't sure what was meant by "setup time".

The back cover was refreshing -- a chisel 101 class.

Since I recently bought about 50 board feet of lyptus, I was especially interested in the article on lyptus. The article turned out to be a single page. I was hoping for some advice on lyptus finishes: e.g. shellac versus tung oil, etc.

The pictures were good. Looks like they were saving money by making all pictures throughout the magazine in black-and-white. That's not a probem with me but maybe some folks really want color....Had they shouwn some pictures of finishes on lyptus, color pictures would have been a must - perhpas that's why they didn't discuss it????

I'll wait on a few more issues before to evalaute before I subscribe. Fine Woodworking has set the bar pretty high - in my humble opinion....

FYI: It's $5.99.

Reply to
Never Enough Money