Woodworking Magazine is it worth looking at?

Page 1 of 2
Anyone pick-up a copy of this one yet? http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/backissue.asp?issuedate=9/1/2004 Would be interested in hearing what you think of it. Scott
snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote in

Yes. Yes. I like the simple, clear style.
The small portion of the article on grain orientation in selecting leg stock for the end table was worth the price of admission alone.
Patriarch
No, but just ordered it. Thanks for the headsup. The staff looks capable. Interesting concept, no subscriptions, no advertising. I guess they just email you when the next issue is available.

In Issue 2, there is an invitation to become a charter subscriber. Based on what I've seen so far, it's likely worth the money.
What to prune from the subscription list is more problematic....
Patriarch
<<What to prune from the subscription list is more problematic....>>
And it may get even more so. Woodcraft Magazine is due to debut around Christmastime.
Lee

So what do they think will be their strategic differentiation?
BTW, I got a subscription offer from Woodworker's Journal in today's mail. They included those free return mailing labels in the offer, as a sort of an inducement to order.
The first line of the address, in place of my name, was 000427098.
Patriarch, feeling like a number....

At least it wasn't 'THX 1138'.

Ahah, Orwells' 1984 has arrived!
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 05:10:06 GMT, patriarch

nospambob responds:

Been here for a couple of decades now, but it's only been allowed to be obvious for a couple of years.
Big Brother is watching.
Charlie Self "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." H. L. Mencken
Lee Gordon wrote:

I just caught a wiff (or is it whiff?) of that today. Shill comes to mind immediately though that's based on half a century (OK, almost) of seeing this sort of thing and having it always come true.
UA100, who does think it can't be as bad as Woodworking For Women, now that is a waste of good pulp...
On 26 Aug 2004 07:01:00 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@vmtw.com (vmtw) wrote:
|Anyone pick-up a copy of this one yet? |http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/backissue.asp?issuedate=9/1/2004 |Would be interested in hearing what you think of it.
What *really* interested me was that they say they have letters and comments from readers in the *first* issue.
How they do that?
(vmtw) wrote:

prerelease issues? alpha and beta testers?
I figured the borrowed from Popular Woodworking.
(vmtw) wrote:

Had same question about premier issue of American Router...
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 00:14:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"

Similar to the first annual........

It's not _really_ all that hard to understand.
The Premier issue comes out only after they've gotten high Marx on the Chairman and General Secretary issues. Preliminary trial-balloons are floated under the Minister and Politburo names.
And that's the Pravda! Nothing but the Pravda.
And you wondered why the introduction of new magazines seems to be so sickle-ic.

It's the same publisher and staff as Popular Woodworking so I don't suppose it's too hard to lean over the mail bag and pluck out one or three.
UA100
<<What *really* interested me was that they say they have letters and comments from readers in the *first* issue.
How they do that?>>
The editors will usually visit places like this or Wood Central and solicit them.
Lee

http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/backissue.asp?issuedate=9/1/2004

Well, I've picked up several times now, it's ok. It's not a full magazine like Pop Woodworking (who by the way puts it out) or Fine Woodworking. It usually covers one project in depth and teaches around that. There are no ads, hence the "thinness" of the magazine, but I think the projects are recycled from Pop. Woodworking, but wouldn't swear by it. What they cover is good stuff, hence I keep buying it.
I'd say you could stop by your local vendor (bookstore, newstand_ and peruse the whole thing in a less then a minute and make up your mind.
MJ Wallace
Out of curiosity, I bought one yesterday: a Woodwooking magazine, that is. I think it's competive with Fine Woodworking. I have mixed feelings about advertisements. I actually like some advertisements but I don't like too many. I often read the Fine Woodworking classifieds.
I liked the article on sharpening chisels. It says the same things you get elsewhere but was written very consisely....
I thought the article reviewing chisels was incomplete. Why weren't some of the high end chisels reviewed (Barr, Japanese varieties, or the new Lie-Nielson's)? I wasn't sure what was meant by "setup time".
The back cover was refreshing -- a chisel 101 class.
Since I recently bought about 50 board feet of lyptus, I was especially interested in the article on lyptus. The article turned out to be a single page. I was hoping for some advice on lyptus finishes: e.g. shellac versus tung oil, etc.
The pictures were good. Looks like they were saving money by making all pictures throughout the magazine in black-and-white. That's not a probem with me but maybe some folks really want color....Had they shouwn some pictures of finishes on lyptus, color pictures would have been a must - perhpas that's why they didn't discuss it????
I'll wait on a few more issues before to evalaute before I subscribe. Fine Woodworking has set the bar pretty high - in my humble opinion....
FYI: It's $5.99.