"Woodworking" Magazine goes Subscription

Page 1 of 2
"Woodworking", the no-ad, newsstand only, no-BS, very well written magazine, by some of the Popular Woodworking editors has gone subscription! This has become my favorite magazine, when I can actually find it.
$20 gets 4 issues.
More here: <http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/
** No connection other than a satisfied reader **
B A R R Y wrote:

Thank you. I looked at the one issue they make available for free online and I liked what I saw enough to subscribe.
I found the free issue here:
http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/images/SEPT2004_WM.pdf
Good stuff!
John

I noticed right at the top of the .pdf it states "a new magazine" with "no ads". It's going to have to be an exceptional magazine if it's going to survive without advertising of some sort.
"Upscale" wrote:

Consumer Reports and Practical Sailor are a couple of rags that survive without paid advertising.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Don't know about the latter, the former is essentially useless imo--at least they and I almost never agree in their assessments... :)

Woodworking magazine and will probably subscribe to it.

Try the free issue.

I did. It's fine, but that's not the point. Most new magazines come out with interesting stuff. It's maintaining that level of quality and getting in enough cash flow to keep the magazine going that will determine it's longevity.

I agree. "Woodworking" has been around since 2004.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 03:00:37 -0500, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

That's not much longevity, sorry. Further, if they're going to give a "free" issue, why give one from 2004, not one from 2007?

No, it's going to be an EXPENSIVE magazine. They have to make their money somewhere and if it doesn't come from advertisers, it's going to come from consumers.

Not going to be, "IS" 4 issues for $20 is pretty high. Having said that most all the WW magazines I subscribe to are pretty expensive. You generally get what you pay for.
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:28:39 GMT, "Leon"

Has anyone seen the cover price of most magazines?

Depends on what you compare it to. Many mags are cheaper, some even down to about $1/issue on eBay or with multi-year specials. And they may be worth it at that price. However, per-issue, Woodworking comes out about the same as Fine Woodworking, right? IMO, Woodworking is a far nicer publication (especially compared to recent FWWs), and the lack of ads is a nice bonus. I have all 8 issues published so far, and would happily give away the rest of my WW mag collection (and many of my WW books) before I gave up these 8 issues. I subscribed as soon as I got the email. Andy
On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 23:28:39 GMT, "Leon"

Content has nothing to do with ads and honestly, I'd much rather see the ads because I often find out about new products that way. No ads isn't a selling point for me at all.

I have to agree with that up to a point too. I think that after I reached a certain knowledge level, I became increasingly interested in new products that come out on the market. I do admit to being a Normite much more than a Neander so I'm sure that accounts for a good part of what I'm interested in seeing.
The two latest additions to woodworking that have really caught my interest is Festool's Domino and the line of lowered woodworking machinery that General Tools is in the process of manufacturing. Those who know me will know why the General Tools machinery has my attention.

I'm just as interested in seeing the newest hand planes as I am the newest power tools, but I know what you mean. A lot of my tool purchases come because I find out things are available through the ads.
On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:37:51 GMT, Brian Henderson

Here too. I no longer attend shows to see the latest, so I appreciate the ads. Anything over $5 for a magazine is overpriced.
Wow - so people actually like ads? I'd rather find out about new products via catalogs, blogs, forums, or magazine article writeups. But if there's a market for a WW magazine with more ads and less content, I'd want to be a paid member of their staff! Maybe I'll start that magazine - charge people for something that I'm already getting paid to publish. Sounds like a deal to me.

It really depends on the ads and how they're done. I don't mind ads in print, they're easy to ignore if I want to. Look at all those "free auto trader" magazines or "free classified" papers.
If the number of ads is reasonable, and they're on-topic for the magazine, I might just pay close attention to them.
Puckdropper
marching band.