Woodworking lathe?

Hello all Any ;plans for DIY tracer / duplicator for woodworking lathe? tia Basil
Basil Any special reason? It is usually easier and faster to turn duplicate pieces by hand. ______ God bless and safe turning Darrell Feltmate Truro, NS, Canada www.aroundthewoods.com

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

That depends. Are you duplicating, or are you making duplicates ?
I can turn out a set of matching pieces by hand, but I can't make one new piece to match someone else's existing one. I can't even turn out matching pieces over several days.
Dingbat (I'm not calling names, folks. That is the handle on his email!) For most duplicates, close enough is great. The four legs of a chair or table for instance. Small discrepancies will not be noticed by the human eye and if someone is going to take a micrometer to them, tough. Besides, ofter trying to turn a hundred spindles alike, for instance, your duplicating skills will improve immensely. On the other hand, considering the surface most duplicators leave, after 100 spindles your sanding technique should be second to none :-) ______ God bless and safe turning Darrell Feltmate Truro, NS, Canada www.aroundthewoods.com

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

I'm posting through Google, as I'm not at home. I've used the same email address for years, so some of you might recognise it, and the full name 8-)

Close enough is _better_. If you want a Windsor chair with _identical_ spindles, go to the Swedenborg. If you want just enough variation between them to give it character, have it hand made. If you want the spindles to taper properly as they vary in length, go to a good turner who can vary the shape in proportion throughout, not just duplicate them and trim the ends.

In the unlikely even you are in upstate NY, I have a craftsman duplicator I would be willing to sell for a reasonable price.