Woodworking knife

Page 2 of 2

Gas hacksaw - only way to go!
Actually, if I was doing this (and I doubt I'd cut up a saw, they're more useful as saws) I'd cut it on the shears over at my buddy's place. It's useful having a machinist as a friend.
John
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 9:57:06 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:
[about making a marking knife]

For a short length of hard steel that will hold an edge, you might also consider an old, dull file. If you want to get into it deeper, air-hardening tool steel isn't terribly expensive...
On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 4:33:21 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

Reading between the lines, I gather you chose a blade from the kitchen collection and are using it to mark wood. There are round scribes (probably one in your try-square) for marking, and single-bevel knives (both follow a straight edge well), as well as skew chisels, utility knives, pen knives, and Xacto knives, in my shop, and all get significant use for marking.
I'd suggest lots of experimentation, before you consider a spendy rosewood specialty item. My kitchen knives are double-beveled, so i don't like them for following a straightedge; long blades don't work, you want something with just enough length to keep your handle from shadowing the mark.
On 10/27/2015 7:33 PM, Michael wrote:

if you reshaped it, then it's probably fine. I took a knife and broke the blade off, then reshaped it like a chip carving knife. I can't see using a long blade to mark, but if that's what your used to ...
I also have some spear point blades, what I like is they are one sided, and can be flipped from side to side.
I also use a regular utility knife.. so whatever works
--
Jeff

On 10/27/2015 6:33 PM, Michael wrote:

I use one of those utility knives that has a blade that can be renewed 10 times by breaking of the point and forming a new sharp point.
On 10/28/2015 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:

One like this. You can also buy replacement blades.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)46043471&sr=1-18&keywords=utility+knife
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Why isn't it green?
On 10/28/2015 10:17 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mine is. ;~)

As other folks have mentioned, for marking you want a knife that's only beveled on one side (so the flat side can set tight against your rule, or the dovetail you're marking from, or whatever).
That said, as long as you can get the knife tight against the edge, I don't see that a fancy knife has any advantage other than aesthetics.
Mine came from Patrick Leach, but I dunno if he's still making them.
John
On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 16:33:17 -0700 (PDT)

some of the straight carving knives are a cut above can find them sold separately from the entire carving kits
"Michael" wrote in message

I have a number of knives in my shop and use then as appropriate.
Left and Right marking knives Used exclusively for layout work
A retractable blade utility knife Used for opening boxes, cutting roll and soft sheet goods, insulation, felt paper, nylon binding straps, etc.
A hacking knife Used for rough work where I hit it with a mallet or hammer to split wood. A Google image search on Hacking Knife brings up examples.
On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 at 6:33:21 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:

A somewhat related question? What's the optimum angle for sharpening a shop knife? I've seen 22 degrees, but I wanted to check for other opinions.