Woodworking goodies

I am in the big box stores much more than I would like. When you are in th em many times a week for your work day, they lose all their attraction, bel ieve me.

But this time of year I like going if I have a few minutes to spare. This time of year they have all kinds of great sales on door buster items, speci al purchases, and promotions that I find really nice. . This time of year I always stock up on drill bits, drive bits, bit holders, etc. Lowes is the place to go for that. They have these sets at the Lowe s by my office for $19.95.

=dewalt+drill+bit+set

and these as well, EXACTLY the same. still at $19.95:

=dewalt+drill+bit+set

To me, the DeWalt bits and drills are as good as any other mid level manufa cturer, and I certainly get my money's worth. I buy these sets now and I ha ve enough bits and drills to easily last the year's jobs.

Home Depot has sales on flashlights, hammers (2 for $10), tool box sized so cket sets, and all sorts of other goodies.

This time of year they have all those cardboard displays full of all kinds of random stuff. Right now at the stores around me they have marked most of that stuff 50% off already. Never see them mark those promo items down so much so early, but I am certainly on board. Never too many drive bits, bit holders, sharp drill bits, or flashlights.

At those prices it doesn't make sense to sharpen drill bits or regrind your drivers. Use them up, then move to a new one.

Just a heads up for those that stock up. This is when Christmas shopping ma kes sense to me.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

That's interesting, I went after reading your post. My HD is selling each one seperate, for 14.95. That's quite a difference.

I did not find any deals there. The prices are the same they were weeks ago. I was looking to get my son some tools.

BTW anyone here use the pass through socket sets. I am curious if those type of sockets round over the nuts if they are on tight.

Reply to
woodchucker

No doubt, every store is different. Once they put their Christmas "come ons" on sale they go fast.

Note too, my reference for the drill bits and driver sets is from Lowes, not HD.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I have a set of those sockets made by Gear Wrench. Great for use on long bolts. I have not used them enough to answer your question directly. However the sockets appear to fit on the nuts just as well as conventional sockets - it's just that the drive fits around the outside of the socket. John

Reply to
John S

Typically 6 point are less likely to round a nut, 12 points more likely, although 12 point allow a smaller arc and will work on square nuts also.

Better design sockets will have relief opened corners so that the points of the nuts or bolts do not take all of the stress, a common reason for round over.

Reply to
Leon

Most of what I am seeing for sockets is not evey normal 12 point. They are splines so they will work with many different brands. Seems most of the passthroughs are now employing them, HD (Husky), Lowes (Kobalt) , Craftsman. So I am a little concerned, This is for my son, who will need it for basic stuff, not like I have used tools. He was never a motor head, or woodworker. He just wants to be able to fix things at home. Funny, he always said he would hire someone to fix things.. Now he's probably regretting not hanging around me, to pick up some of it.

Reply to
woodchucker

He can hang around you here, to pick up some of it, like I do. ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

them many times a week for your work day, they lose all their attraction, b elieve me.

s time of year they have all kinds of great sales on door buster items, spe cial purchases, and promotions that I find really nice.

Also, might want to check out the damaged ply products. At my Lowes, I oft en get slightly damaged ply goods for half price, like recently getting 3 s heets of 3/8 luan, with 3"X 3" damage on each of one long edge, and only on one side of the ply. I needed them to rebuild my shop's back garage door s... someone tried to break in, but was only successful at damaging the alr eady poor doors.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Good point. The BORG only had two sheets of Melamine out and the edges of both were beat all to hell. I could cut around the problems but I wasn't about to pay full price and there wasn't anyone around to ask about taking them off their hands. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I would suggest a normal socket set, one with 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives. Much easier to buy any braved replacement or addition.

Reply to
Leon